Longtime Voice of WSU Cougars Bob Robertson Retires
courtesy AllAccess.com October 16, 2018
After 52 years, WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY sports broadcaster BOB ROBERTSON has announced his retirement, effective immediately. ROBERTSON, 89, began calling COUGARS football as radio play-by-play voice in 1964, moving to analyst in 2012; He called 589 COUGARS games in that stretch. In addition, ROBERTSON called men’s basketball for 23 years, served as voice of minor league baseball’s SPOKANE INDIANS, and served as sports anchor at KSTW-TV and KMO-A/SEATTLE.
“I’ve been with the COUGARS a lot of years, more than half a century, calling basketball, football for the fans around the NORTHWEST and elsewhere around the country and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” said ROBERTSON. “It’s been great to be with you COUGARS at your meetings and get-togethers, and I hope we can do it again and I’m sure we will.
“But as of this moment, I’ve now asked the athletic department at WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY to list me as a retired, former sportscaster for the COUGARS. It is a matter of getting old is what it is. Everything seems to move a lot faster around me, I move more slowly. I hope to see you soon, I’m not going to go away. I like WASHINGTON STATE people and the school itself too much to do that. But I am going to be on the retired list, starting immediately.”
“When you think of the icons of WASHINGTON STATE Athletics, BOB ROBERTSON certainly comes to mind,” said WSU Director of Athletics PAT CHUN. “BOB has painted the picture for many generations of COUGAR fans and we thank him for what he has meant to WASHINGTON STATE Athletics. We will also recognize his many achievements at a COUGAR Football game next month in MARTIN STADIUM.”
- THE SEATTLE TIMES VERSION OF THIS STORY CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- Mike Killeen’s New Gig is with CBC Vancouver TV News
- What’s up at Victoria’s KiSS 103.1?
- Kudos to CTV Vancouver on Election Night
- Whither Seattle’s 106.1 KISS FM? 17 Year…
- Deep state rolls out staged “bomb” attack on CNN…
- Rebranded Crave streaming service combines HBO,…
- Jim Acosta White House Press Pass Suspended