courtesy AllAccess.com August 19, 2015
- Late YESTERDAY (NET NEWS 8/18), ALL ACCESS tipped readers about new studies by NIELSEN, EDISON RESEARCH and ADVERTISER PERCEPTIONS that dispute advertiser perceptions about the size of radio’s audience. The combined research found AM/FM’s audience to be far greater than the audience for streaming services.
- The study, commissioned by radio broadcasters such as CUMULUS, WESTWOOD ONE, iHEARTMEDIA, ALPHA MEDIA, BEASLEY MEDIA GROUP, CBS RADIO, COX MEDIA GROUP, EMMIS COMMUNICATIONS, ENTERCOM, GREATER MEDIA, HUBBARD RADIO, RADIO ADVERTISING BUREAU, RADIO ONE, TOWNSQUARE MEDIA and UNIVISION RADIO, INC., found the following:
- Advertisers estimate that 64% of Americans are reached by AM/FM but the actual NIELSEN weekly reach is 93%.
- Advertisers and agencies perceive the audience share of PANDORA and SPOTIFY to be nearly the same as AM/FM. In reality, AM/FM’s audience share is nine times PANDORA and 17 times that of SPOTIFY.
- NIELSEN data also shows that radio reaches 93% of Millennials –- 22% more Millennials than TV. TV misses one in four Millennials.
“Advertisers and agencies drastically underestimate the reach of AM/FM radio,” CUMULUS and WESTWOOD ONE CEO LEW DICKEY said. “This study is the first conclusive evidence of the major gap in actual and imagined performance of AM/FM and streaming outlets.”
“The most recent NIELSEN Total Audience Report showed that radio is now the number one reach medium, surpassing TV with total audience and Millennials by an even greater margin,” iHEARTMEDIA Chairman/CEO BOB PITTMAN added. “This research makes it clear that while TV and new forms of media may get more attention, they don’t come near the reach of radio; radio is truly the mass reach mobile media.”
“Radio’s reach has remained consistent despite new forms of audio programming and an increasingly fragmented media landscape,” CBS RADIO Pres. ANDRE FERNANDEZ said. “Streaming has proven to be a popular platform, but not at the expense of radio’s growing total audience.”
- READ THE REST OF THE STORY HERE AT THE ALL ACCESS MUSIC GROUP WEBSITE