Global Calgary is Celebrating its 65th Birthday Today!
Calgary’s first television station, Global Calgary, is proud to celebrate 65 years today, October 8.
Since launching regular programming on October 8, 1954, Global Calgary has transformed and evolved throughout the years; all the while remaining steadfast in its mission to celebrate and showcase the local community. Today, Global Calgary partners with more than 150 organizations throughout the city.
“Global Calgary is a station committed to celebrating and highlighting the city’s diverse community,” said Carmela Gentile, station manager and news director. “We look forward to sharing many more milestones with our great city.”
Here on the Puget Sound Radio website, the birth of the atation was noted in Today in Broadcast History thusly:
On this day in 1954, Calgary’s CHCT-TV Channel 2 signed on as a CBC affiliate. It was jointly owned by three Calgary radio stations: CFCN, CFAC and CKXL.
Today the official call letters are CICT DT. It broadcasts 46½ hours of locally produced newscasts each week, more than any other local TV outlet, with 7½ hours on weekdays, and 4½ hours each on Saturdays and Sundays.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- CTV News reporter MELTS DOWN after Rebel News asks…
- Andrew Grose Exits 630 CHED
- David Menzies ARRESTED at Andrew Scheer Conservative…
- Edmonton’s HOT 107 Rebrands As POWER 107
- Sun FM Kelowna is now Virgin
- Victoria’s CHEK Adds Joe Perkins, Loses Ben…
- From Fired Radio Host To Successful Podcaster
- Rogers lays off four as it ‘Reimagines’…
- Scott Fox & Kat Callaghan are returning to…
- Alex Trebek gets Bad News about his Stage 4 Cancer