TV Stars Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among 50 indicted for College Entrance Bribery
Felicity Huffman/Lori Loughlin
BOSTON – Thirty-three affluent parents, headlined by television stars Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin and CEOs, nine college coaches and others were charged Tuesday in the nation’s largest-ever college admissions bribery case that includes allegations of cheating on college-entrance exams and illegal payments to college coaches.
The U.S. Department of Justice charged 50 people with taking part in an elaborate conspiracy that involved cheating on the SAT and ACT and parents paying coaches of elite colleges and universities hundreds of thousands of dollars to accept students who fabricated their athletic credentials.
In some cases, coaches agreed to pretend that students applying to their school were highly recruited athletes when, in fact, they didn’t even compete in that particular sport.
Others charged included three people who organized the scams, two ACT and SAT exam administrators, one exam proctor, and one college administrator.
At the center of the case, according to federal prosecutors, was an admissions consultant named William Rick Singer, who pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiracy charges of racketeering, money laundering, defrauding the United States and obstruction of justice.
Singer worked with parents to create athletic profiles that faked credentials of club teams and would sometimes involve staged photographs or doctored stock photos from the internet.
READ MORE HERE.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Victoria’s CHEK Adds Joe Perkins, Loses Ben…
- Sportsnet Prepares for Massive Layoffs
- Andrew Grose Exits 630 CHED
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- Bob McCown Confirms he’s Leaving Sportsnet…
- Sportsnet Jettisons Number of Off-Air Jobs in Rogers…
- ‘CBS Evening News’ ratings plummet on Norah…
- Matthew McBride on the CRTC Hot Seat in September
- Scott Fee Returns to CHEK-TV as News Director
- Longtime Breakfast Television host Riaz Meghji…