Today, Feb. 13, is World Radio Day. Hug a DJ.
by Alan Cross for A Journal of Musical Things Feb. 13 2019
Today marks the 8th annual World Radio Day, a UNESCO-sponsored event that acknowledges the effect, impact and importance radio has had on society since it emerged as a consumer technology more than a hundred years ago.
Radio continues to shape lives by offering news, entertainment, companionship, opportunities for dialogue, and chances to learn things we might not ever be exposed to.
Just about everyone has a radio story. My grandmother gave me this Lloyd’s transistor for my 6th birthday. It’s the reason I’m doing what I am today.
This is a radio moment I will never, ever forget.
“World Radio Day 2019 will celebrate the theme of ‘Dialogue, Tolerance, and Peace.’
“Broadcasts that provide a platform for dialogue and democratic debate over issues, such as migration or violence against women, can help to raise awareness among listeners and inspire understanding for new perspectives in paving the way for positive action.
“Radio programming can also build tolerance and surpass the differences separating groups by uniting them under common goals and causes, like ensuring education for one’s children or addressing local health concerns.”
Despite what some people will tell you, radio is not dead. Far from it. Radio is still powerful, influential, and profitable. Contrary to what those in their tech bubble say, people still do listen to the radio.
Yes, the entire industry is in the midst of a drawn-out technological transition, but while it will inevitably move away from AM and FM, the idea of real-time audio entertainment will always be with us.
READ & HEAR MORE HERE.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- TSN 1040’s Dave Pratt out as Bell Media makes…
- Vancouver Radio PPMs Nov. 26 2018 – Feb. 24 2019
- Edmonton Radio PPMs – Nov. 26th – Feb 24th 2019
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- Only female and white candidate gets deplatformed…
- Scott Fee Returns to CHEK-TV as News Director
- CBC apologizes for broadcasting fake news on the…
- Longtime WABC Weather Anchor is Suddenly Gone
- Another Firing at TSN 1040 .. Football Analyst…
- 101.5 Today Radio Signs on in Calgary, Replacing KooL FM