Former Vancouver & Montreal Radioman Bob Gillies Dead at 84
My thanks to Gord Lansdell of Northwest Broadcasters as the source of the sad news that my old friend and CJOR and CKWX broadcaster Bob Gillies lost his battle with cancer December 15 at age 84 in Atlanta.
He was CKWX AM 1130’s first all-night host, as the deejay behind the semi-classical Concert Under the Stars.
Following his work in Vancouver in the 1950’s, he was prominent at CKGM and CFCF radio and TV Montreal in the late 50s and ’60s before moving to the U.S., where he enjoyed a successful career as a writer and singer of commercial jingles for radio and television.
He also wrote and performed songs for motion pictures in Los Angeles. He was an actor and comedy writer for many Hollywood television shows, most notably for Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In in the late 1960s.
Rest In Peace, old friend. You and I were part of a golden era in Vancouver radio, which unfortunately has long passed.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Vancouver’s Z95.3 Changes its Morning Show
- Kid Carson gets the Morning Show at Vancouver’s Z 95.3
- CKNW Officially Names New Talk Show Hosts
- Simi Sara Appointed Official Breakfast Host at NW
- Graham Hatch Out of his Afternoon Drive slot at…
- Kelowna’s Soft 103.9 to go dark on Friday
- Vancouver Radio PPM Ratings .. Nov. 25 2019 –…
- Seattle iHeart Cuts Run Deep
- ‘Inducing panic’: Media under fire for…
- David Bray Analyzes VANCOUVER Radio PPM’s,…