Facebook Security Breach: Up to 50 Million Accounts Hacked
Facebook has said “almost 50 million” of its users were left exposed by a security flaw.
The company said attackers were able to exploit a vulnerability in a feature known as “View As” to gain control of people’s accounts.
The breach was discovered on Tuesday, Facebook said, and it has informed police.
Users that had potentially been affected were prompted to re-log-in on Friday.
The flaw has been fixed, wrote the firm’s vice-president of product management, Guy Rosen, adding all affected accounts had been reset, as well as another 40 million “as a precautionary step”.
Facebook – which saw its share price drop more than 3% on Friday – has more than two billion active monthly users.
Who has been affected?
The firm would not say where in the world the 50 million users are, but it has informed Irish data regulators, where Facebook’s European subsidiary is based.
Users that had potentially been affected were prompted to re-log-in on Friday. However, the company said users did not have to change their passwords.
“Since we’ve only just started our investigation, we have yet to determine whether these accounts were misused or any information accessed. We also don’t know who’s behind these attacks or where they’re based. “
He added: “People’s privacy and security is incredibly important, and we’re sorry this happened.”
READ MUCH MORE HERE AT THE BBC NEWS WEBSITE
Published on September 28, 2018 at 3:39 pm by Ron Robinson
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Bell’s Virgin Radio Toronto & Edmonton…
- This is Where Global’s Lynn Colliar Has Gone
- Trudeau Government Announces $600 MILLION Media…
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- Vancouver Radio PPMs … Aug. 27th – Nov.…
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- No Flip? New KiSS 103.1 Morning Show Announced
- Edmonton Radio PPMs – Aug. 27th – Nov 25th 2018
- CBC, ‘The Ocean’ &…