Cape Breton Radio Announcer Celebrates 50 Years Behind the Mic
Published Thursday, August 2, 2018
Jay Bedford’s voice is one Cape Bretoners have come to know as soon as they cross the Causeway.
This week, Bedford is celebrating 50 years behind the microphone — most of it in Cape Breton.
“I came up here not expecting to stay, and fell in love with the people, the area, everything about Cape Breton Island,” says Jay Bedford, the music director and an announcer at New Country 103.5 in Sydney, N.S.
“The Jaybird,” as he’s often known on-air, started at his high school radio station, but as more of a tech guy behind the scenes.
Then, fate intervened.
“One day, one of the announcers wasn’t available and I ended up doing an on-air shift and fell in love with the concept of being behind the microphone,” Bedford says.
His first on-air job was in 1968, at the age of 18 in St-Jerome, Que.
He came to Sydney in 1971 and, over the years, he’s done morning shows, afternoons, early every job in the industry.
He’s beloved by listeners for his warm and friendly voice and by colleagues for his unrivalled passion for radio and his sincere willingness to help other broadcasters.
“50 years! Congratulations, my friend,” colleague Don Sharpe says to Bedford.
“Jay’s the real deal,” says Sharpe. “He was born with radio in him. 50 years later, he has the same passion for the business as he did the first day he started in 1968. He’s the most positive, heartwarming guy you’ll ever meet. And it’s a pleasure to work with him each and every day.”
CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE STORY
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- What The CHUCK? Corus Radio Introduces…
- Former CTV Vancouver Anchor Mike Killeen to Sub on…
- Jeff Brown of Q 107 Calgary heading to west coast…
- Owner of company (Jimmy Pattison) involved in fatal…
- UPDATED: Winnipeg Broadcaster FIRED Over his…
- City TV Vancouver Announces Anchor Team for Return…
- Will Sportsnet 650 Corner Any More Local Team Broadcasts?
- News 1130 Moves John Ackerman to Morning Drive
- Wesla Wong moves from Global Kelowna to the Star
- JUDGE JEANINE: Whoopi Goldberg Started Cursing at…