Five Women Accuse James Franco of Sexually Exploitative Behaviour
It should have been a pure moment of triumph for James Franco. He collected one of Hollywood’s top prizes at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, validating an untraditional career in which he’s been a bankable leading man, Ivy League academic and eccentric auteur.
But as he stood on the ballroom stage, some were paying more attention to the Time’s Up pin on his lapel than the gold statue he picked up for his turn in “The Disaster Artist.”
It “was like a slap in my face,” said Sarah Tither-Kaplan, a former acting student at the film school Franco founded who went on to appear in several of his productions.
(Besides his many bigscreen turns, Franco has left his mark on TV in the series Angie Tribeca, The Deuce, and 11.23.63).
In some cases, they said they believed Franco could offer them career advancement, and acquiesced to his wishes even when they were uncomfortable.
“I feel there was an abuse of power, and there was a culture of exploiting non-celebrity women, and a culture of women being replaceable,” said Tither-Kaplan, who was one of many women who took to Twitter on Sunday night to vent anger over Franco’s win.
She told The Times that in a nude orgy scene she filmed with Franco and several women three years ago, he removed protective plastic guards covering other actresses’ vaginas while simulating oral sex on them.
Two other student actresses also recounted negative on-set experiences. Both said Franco became angry when no women, while at the shoot, would agree to be topless.
READ MORE HERE AT THE L.A. TIMES WEBSITE
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- My take on the changes at Corus
- Joe Rainey of Capitol Records Has Passed Away at 43
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- Longtime Broadcaster Terry Moore Dead at 82 … Cancer
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- CKNW Loses Bailey Nicholson to News 1130
- Radio station hires replacement for fired DJ Dave Wheeler
- Firings at Edmonton’s Newcap cluster, Capital…
- After 30 years of Rockin’ Edmonton, Rob Berg…