CHEK-TV’s Gordie Tupper Packing it in

The longest serving member of the CHEK TV air crew Gordie Tupper has taken to Facebook to announce his retirement.   Gordie says it will take effect Jan. 31 2018, and the next day he expects to be soaking up the sun in his favorite Maui swimming pool!

Tupper has been lucky enough to spend his entire broadcasting career in Victoria, his home town. Beginning in the late 60’s he worked his way up at CKDA Radio to become the featured morning man, before moving across town in the late 70’s to join CHEK.   He has been a man with many varied roles under a number of management & TV ownership changes over the years, hosting for years the community interview show ‘CHEK Around’, handling special events like the annual Victoria Day Parade, doing on-and off-camera commercial voicing, and capably filling a backup role as weathercaster.

We at PSR congratulate Gordie on his long and successful career, and wish him a happy retirement.

Published on December 29, 2017 at 6:18 pm by Ron Robinson

Comments

December 29, 2017 - 6:38 pm

Great story. Nice change from all of the bad news. Maui cant come soon enough. Enjoy the rest Mr Tupper

December 29, 2017 - 9:38 pm

Paul smith

Thanks for many years of enjoyment Gordie!
Keep that smile going forever…safe & enjoyable retirement..

December 30, 2017 - 8:54 am

Charles

One of the “good ones” in television … you deserve a great retirement … and have fun!

December 30, 2017 - 9:26 am

Ed Mason

It was a delight to work with Gordie at CKDA in the early 70s. A true “action man” doing everything from car racing to our sea reports. All the best Gordie!!

December 30, 2017 - 9:57 am

Don Lehn FVN Fraser Valley News

Memories of Gordie when I was at the old CJVI 1979-1983 and he was cross town .. — a true “great guy” in da biz !

December 30, 2017 - 10:23 am

Dwayne Rowe

A good fellow whose cheery attitude was a pleasant change to the hard side of news and other programming. His CHEK Around show was a boost to local businesses and helpful to residents by showing what sights and events, services and shops were accessible in the area. I think Gordie ‘s long association with CHEK in the face of its imminent demise was instrumental in garnering support from area residents which culminated in a rally downtown and the survival of the station under even tougher economic conditions for nearly all media.

December 30, 2017 - 11:21 am

Bud

Hmm, my dealings with him, brief as they were, revealed an arrogant, spiteful, rude individual. I’d chalk this up to me reading him wrong were it not for quite a number of other people I later have spoken with who report exactly the same qualities.

December 30, 2017 - 12:29 pm

Tim Black

Congrats on the next chapter Gordie. Like so many, I grew up watching you on CHEK you are a true Victoria media legend.

December 30, 2017 - 2:40 pm

BMCQ

I have never really seen any daytime TV in Canada since the age of perhaps 10 but I recognize the attached Pic of Mr. Tupper and the first thing I thought of was that I do remember his Voice and I remember thinking he had a Great Voice and seemed like a very nice person.

I am not a Media Savvy Person but I believe he more than likely could have moved to Bigger Markets if he so wanted.

He was a Lucky Person to spend his Career in the Great City of VICTORIA and I am guessing that is how he wanted it to be!

Enjoy Your Retirement Mr. Tupper!

December 30, 2017 - 5:12 pm

Terry Bell

Mahalo and Aloha, Gordie!

December 31, 2017 - 3:06 pm

Rocker Rich

Bud is the exception (so far) on this thread.

Always worthwhile to get contrary opinions as pretty well everyone in life has darker sides which, when revealed, actually makes them more interesting and well-rounded. Whether in retirement tributes or, less often, obituaries…I perk up whenever reading someone “didn’t suffer fools gladly.”

Not knowing Gord other than his tv persona, I can only wish him “Happy Trails.”

January 2, 2018 - 1:21 pm

Vivek

The highlight of his career was the 1990 voice over work he did on the legendary “Lyle’s Place” commercial. They still show it today 27 years and counting…..

Stop and go to Lyle’s Place..

January 8, 2018 - 5:36 pm

Jean Williams

Happy retirement Gordie, we loved all your reporting & will miss your smiling face. All the best to you.

January 8, 2018 - 7:23 pm

Judi

Before all that he was a Woolco in store “Flashing Light Sale in aisle ? ” announcer! Have a great retirement.