CKNW to Replace Their All-Night “Coast to Coast AM” Show

CKNW is having to come up with new programming to replace their current overnight offering, “Coast to Coast AM’ with George Noory, which has long been the allnight show of choice on North American talk radio stations.

The current contract is about to run out, with the subsidiary of Bell Media that controls the Canadian rights to the show.   Bell has decided not to offer to renew on NW, a Corus property, thus forcing the station and its talk radio sister stations across the country to come up with a Canadian-based alternative.

No word on what other Vancouver station (if any) will be airing “Coast to Coast” in the future.   We assume the George Noory feature will continue uninterrupted on C-FAX 1070 Victoria, a Bell station.

Published on November 28, 2017 at 4:32 pm by mikedup

Comments

November 28, 2017 - 7:59 pm

Paul smith

Just yet another reason to tune out ‘NW, although for once this is not on Corus or ‘NW evidently…

November 28, 2017 - 8:58 pm

Rocker Rich

There’s been several Vancouver/Victoria guests on Coast over the years. Art Bell broadcast a show from CFUN studios on a stopover, with late spouse Ramona, from an Alaskan cruise. George Noory did a meet-the-folks variety show (separate from Coast) at, I believe, the River Rock Casino.

Canadians callers frequently get on-air. Toronto broadcaster Richard Syrett is one of several rotating weekend hosts. And let’s not forget former Liberal cabinet minister Paul Hellyer, who has reinvented himself as a UFO-files truther decades after leaving federal politics. Paul gets way more credence than he probably deserves on Coast. After all, why didn’t he pipe up while an active politician able to do something about disclosure? Still, ya gotta admire his moxie to keep relevant at a very advanced age.

Just speculating, but perhaps CKNW paid full price for Coast in order to run more station ads on breaks. CFAX, by comparison, runs more of Noory’s in-house ads for alternative-health remedies, Paranormal Date (for lonely hearts) etc. In return, perhaps CFAX gets the show much cheaper. Whereas NW maintains news breaks after midnight, CFAX skimps by opting for Canadian Press hourly news followed by a short pre-recorded summary of Victoria happenings.

I live on the Saanich Peninsula but prefer to pick up Coast on 97.3FM in Seattle. For some weird reason, the US signal beats the pants off CFAX’s transmission once night falls. Wonder what station Victoria climatologist Tim Ball chooses? Due to his academic background, Ball is George Noory’s go-to climate change skeptic.

November 28, 2017 - 9:09 pm

mary daniel

Sorry to read this. Obviously will be switching to C-FAX 1070.

November 28, 2017 - 9:19 pm

I can hardly wait to see what kind of crap NW replaces Coast to Coast with. Every morning at 2 am I tune in and listen to some of the best radio ever. Coast runs from 10 pm till 2 am the replays from 2 am till 5 am. Maybe we can get some infomercials for adult diapers.
NW truly is a rotting dead dog

November 29, 2017 - 1:16 am

Rocker Rich

Hey. 13! Let’s just hope they don’t program repeats of Simi, Steele and Drex and Adler. Hey Mary Daniel! Try tuning in KIRO 97.3 on FM. As I noted above, it has a howitzer signal at least here in Victoria.

November 29, 2017 - 2:17 am

Boo Radley

A negotiating tactic. That is all.

November 29, 2017 - 7:15 am

Mike

Although I have listened to this program on occasion, I found this particular program to be full of whack jobs. And although it did provide me with fodder when I got to work (I would Lauren to it on my drive in to work in the early mornings), it was ridiculous.
I will not miss this show when it is gone. I liked the host but did he believe any of the crap?

November 29, 2017 - 8:11 am

Chuck B.

How about using local talent?

November 29, 2017 - 9:17 am

musicman

Get ready for Drecks repeats.

November 29, 2017 - 10:32 am

Les H.

Ironically, Coast to Coast was one of the more entertaining broadcasts on NW. Surely it was doing well for late night/over night ratings. Yes, the show has a number of kooks on it at times but it also had topics/personalities who provoked thinking and at least were entertaining.

Most of CKNW’s in house shows and host have all become quite bland, boring, predictable in POV and candor as well as slanted to liberal/leftist/ sjw righteousness bias. Even Adler has moved to being more libtardish now that he lives on the left coast than back in his days in Winnipeg.

Over much of my life as an adult right back to listening to CKNW from the mid 80’s onward it was often must listen to radio. My radios in house and in car often were set to NW98. In the last 3-4-5 years, it is no longer must listen to radio and usually after a short while my radios are on another station or I am not even bothering to have my radios on at all.

Simple fact is today I can find more informative, provocative and critical thinking enforced, news, current affairs, political and social topics on Podcasts and You tube channels. Talk radio today fails to see this and to compete with it well enough.

Coast to Coast was again at least entertaining at times informative on many topics not often discussed.

Look as like another Corus management faux pas in the making.

I bet CKNW will put on hours of REPLAY radio made from the stew of daytime radio hosts, that and the rest of the night craoppla infomercials.

As to replay radio on NW98 the different talk shows repeat crap all too often during their own shows But this crap is also shared in repeats each others’ show as well, QUITE IRRITATING AND BORING!

November 29, 2017 - 5:15 pm

Terry

As some have suggested above repeats may be the order of the day (night) when Coast to Coast ceases to broadcast on 980. That being the case, I’ll go out on a limb and suggest the one program that won’t be repeated will be the 6 pm news from Global.
Just a thought, is there someone out there with a few million bucks that might be interested in buying NW from CORUS and running it locally? Imagine having to fill air 24/7 with local talent and topics. A delicious but daunting idea!

November 29, 2017 - 6:03 pm

Tom Jeffries

I don’t believe there are overnight ratings.

Noory is much respected.

November 29, 2017 - 7:12 pm

Once upon a time NW ran David Berner (producer Bob Addison from 8 pm untill midnight. CALL IN FORMAT no buzzbsline. From midnight till 4 am Stirling Faux , also call in format. At the time I was driving a route from 6pm till6am. Both shows were interesting and entertaining. Berners first night he interviewed an Abottsford school teacher who was an expert on the JFK murder. Berner was well conected to entertainers and had many celebrities on air. One of his best segments was “steel toed kick boot” where callers could vent on almost any person or topic. Great radio and as local as you could get.
Rocker I also get a Bellingham station 96.5 fm. Sadly it signal is okay in the Valley but not in the lower mainland. Trust me if I could listen to another talk radio station other than the petrified dog I would

November 29, 2017 - 8:08 pm

Rocker Rich

Forgive a third posting, but Les H. ( whom I often disagree with) is spot on in crediting Coast for discussing serious topics completely ignored by mass media. For example, Sunday host George Knapp devoted the entire four hours to experts pulling back the curtain on the current opioid crisis.

PSR readers should rush to CKNW archives (while they still exist for Coast) and learn how North American authorities are using the avalanche of fatal ODs from illegal synthetic fentanyl to crack down on law abiding citizens relying on medically prescribed opioids for chronic pain caused by disease, traumatic injuries etc. Folks who’ve been able to work and function for years on doctor-monitored medication regimens are now weaned back dramatically or cut off entirely by physicians fearful of violating new guidelines, The result? Affected patients end up again bedridden and unemployable or risk personal safety (and/or arrest) by seeking out illegal synthetics.

British Columbia is Canada’s harshest jurisdiction after the College of Physicians and Surgeons enacted guidelines allowing raids of doctors’ offices for random inspection of files. To my knowledge, provincial media have completely ignored this bureaucratic overreach. That’s probably because the average journalist, much like the average unaffected citizen, conflates illegal synthetics with legal prescription opioids, The synthetics cause the overwhelming number of OD fatalities that make headlines. Prescription opioids, properly monitored, are rarely fatal and allow patients to live normal productive lives.

A couple of Knapp’s guests on Sunday posited that authorities are doing the dirty work of insurers (in the US) and governments (countries like Canada) which want to cut expenditures. Aside from the unnecessary pain for affected patients, it’s a shortsighted approach since it will surely increase the number of disability claims.

Bottom line: One of the best Coast shows in years which should, if there’s any justice, for George Knapp to vie for broadcast awards in 2018.

November 30, 2017 - 2:19 am

Richard j Bergeron

This is my favourite show. I listen every nite and a lot of my coworkers do as well. There are tons of Canadian content from callers ,guest hosts, and content which concerns everyone world wide. Shame on come for not renewing tnlhe contract. Like others say , guess I’ll be listmening to something else.

November 30, 2017 - 3:54 am

Calvin S

Looks like all Corus news/talk stations across Canada will be dropping C2C

Network Announcer​
Division: CKNW News-Talk 980
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Vancouver, BC

About the Role

Reporting to the Senior Program Director of CKNW-AM, Vancouver, you will be responsible for hosting a weekday overnight program (10p-2a PT/ 1a-5a ET) for Corus’ seven News Talk radio stations based in Vancouver. The show will expand on the day’s news and events and get listener’s set for a fresh start of a new day. It is story driven, opinionated, irreverent and Canadian.

November 30, 2017 - 9:44 am

Mark

Coast to Coast is actually pretty good until they morph into the chemtrail subjects. Many times I thought it probably was the highlight of the talk shows on NW for the day. But then again I don’t regularly listen to them so I might be wrong.

Bell should put Coast on TSN1410 and grow that station to maybe carry national talk from other stations it has across Canada since sports is probably going to disappear from 1410 soon if Bell is looking at the bottom line.

December 1, 2017 - 7:32 pm

Habits are hard to break. Even though CKNDP has become so left wing that they should have Al Gore and David Suzuki on their logo when C2C ended at 5 pm it was G Mac tilll Mcomb came on air. No C2C then no G Mac and no McComb and that leads into no Simi and no Drex. There is an upside to NW canceling C2C after all.

December 5, 2017 - 9:18 am

Richard

Yet another reason CKNW and Corus is spinning round the toilet bowl………anyone ever notice the continual rotation of “kids” working at CKNW for free? They are losing money like crazy trying to stay alive as a “radical left” radio station. Good luck with that……..MAGA President Trump !!!