Peter Weissbach, Edmonton/Vancouver/Seattle/Portland Talk Radio Host, Died Nov. 10th

Peter Weissbach – Talk show host CJOR Vancouver 1980s; on air/PD CJCA Edmonton late 1980s-93; talk host: KBNP Portland 1995; president Questline Productions (WA), Inc. 1995-current; talk host KOGO San Diego 1997; KVI Seattle (nationally syndicated from KOMO Seattle) 1998-2001; weekends/fill-in KIRO Seattle 2004; US syndicated talk show fill-in 2004-09; talk show host KVI Seattle 2009-10; president Seattle Building Maintenance, Inc. in final years.

Thanks to Vancouver Broadcasters for Peter’s radio itinerary.  David Boze posted the following tribute on his Facebook page.

Remembering my friend, Peter Weissbach:

He was a giant of a man. Standing no taller than five foot six, yet so full of life’s fire, so intense was his inquisitiveness, so forceful was his personality, one could not fail to notice his presence fill any room he walked into. His eyes were abnormally large, expressive, inescapable, and capped by magnificent eyebrows capable of amplifying his every emotion. His voice was rich, deep, and genuine and his laugh was full-throated and infectious.

Peter was a man of contradictions: a passionate defender of Western Civilization who explored Eastern culture and religion; a street fighter and an academic; a rebel and a traditionalist; a man of ego and humility.

Most of all, Peter was a family man. While a fierce business competitor and driven to succeed, intimate conversation would always reveal the driving force of his success–the desire to provide for his wife and family. The same was true of his passion for liberty and the constitution–it was not his liberty, success, and freedom he was concerned about, but that of his daughters and their children.

Peter and I had been friends since the day I met him on my first day in radio in 1999. I became his “grasshopper” and we shared an on-air chemistry that people still ask me about today. The truth is we were the same off air. We enjoyed each other’s company and made each other laugh–and think.

Peter died Friday morning, November 10th after a vigorous battle with cancer. First diagnosed with a rare, almost unheard-of form and given just weeks to live, Peter did what Peter always did–he beat it. But increasing pain told him cancer wasn’t done with him yet and he soon found himself battling more common cancers. This time, they were not to be beaten.

I am proud to tell you that he didn’t go down without a fight. He fought hard and surrender came only when his body was spent–his mind never was.

Peter became a Christian before his death. I think it’s safe to say the conversion surprised him. Peter was always seeking, always exploring the deep questions of life. His final months made that quest more urgent, but it remained honest. He was not a man to commit lightly.

Before he lost consciousness, I was able to have a lengthy visit with Peter and we covered many issues. He gave me the kindest compliment I think I’ve ever received from a friend. I told him we were always better together than separate and I regretted not working together again. I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me too. I thanked him for a friendship I’d always treasure.

I have much more to say about Peter, but I’ve been ask to speak at his memorial service, so I will add to this then. His service is planned for December 2. I’ll post details as they become available. So that family can plan, if you think you might attend please tell me in the comments below.

I’d also appreciate it if you’d share your favorite memory of Peter or message it to me.

My last words to Peter were “till we meet again my friend.” May he Rest In Peace and his family be comforted by the ferocity of his love shown to the very end.

Published on November 15, 2017 at 1:07 pm by clockwatcher

Comments

November 15, 2017 - 2:22 pm

Gavin Bamber

He was a joy to listen to on CJOR back in the day.

November 15, 2017 - 8:15 pm

Dennis Richter

Sad news indeed, but so happy to learn that Peter became a Christian before leaving life on this earth. Thank you so much, David Boze, for the touching tribute.

I cannot remember the year, but Peter used to give anyone a mug who would submit to being “grilled by Weissbach.” I was fortunate enough to receive both a grilling and a mug. The humorous part was that I tried to convince him that my point was sufficient for receiving a highly-sought-after “Grilled by Weissbach” mug. He duly put me in my place by saying that only he could make that assessment and that my arguments would not be considered! A fun time with a great radio host! RIP Peter.

November 15, 2017 - 11:36 pm

Ernie Kochis

What a moving tribute you’ve given here. Thank You! I listen to John & Kirby on KVI every morning via the Internet (moved from Seattle to Bakersfield CA to be near family; retired Boeing engineer). Today they mentioned the passing of Peter, or as he called himself, “Weissbach.” Even that was different about him. He was an Original guy, and a genuine one. Always enjoyed his well-thought-out conversations. His was more than just a Talk show. Still recall his great explanation of how one surrenders their precious Life-Blood by toiling daily to earn those precious wages, which represent Years of one’s Life. I’m so glad to learn that Peter became a Christian in his later years. Can remember him calling you “Grasshopper.” An odd name, but typical Weissbach, who came up with so many original nicknames, phrases, thoughts. I wish you well too. Used to listen to you every morning via the Internet, and was very upset when you were taken off KTTH. I wish you well with your career, hopefully will hear you again, soon. Most of all I wish you The Lord’s Peace and Blessings in your time of Sorrow, now that your mentor and friend has passed on into the next life, to a better place as we Christians say. God Bless You.

November 16, 2017 - 8:17 am

Dale Nosko

Weissbach was the kind of PD that always let you know exactly where you stand. I found that an honest, refreshing characteristic that I admired and I came to highly value his opinions. A dynamic presence at the station that I was proud to have worked with, I know that Peter and Tooker Gomberg are already debating the cosmos. RIP Weissbach.

November 16, 2017 - 12:02 pm

oh brother

I am proud to say that I have an “I was GRILLED by Weissbach” oversized coffee mug.

I truly enjoyed his digs at then mayor of Edmonton Jan Reimer, who without even trying, became the biggest comedy hit of the year! I’m not sure if she even understood what was so funny!

November 16, 2017 - 11:39 pm

DeepRadio

Ah yes, remembering Peter fondly. Now cherish my “grilled by Weissbach” mug even more.

I remember his entrance into the Edmonton Alberta market when CJCA re-launched its self as “the talk of the town”.

And his shots at the mayor. He dubbed Mayor Jan Reiner ” The queen of green”. When a story ran months later in the local paper about the home town football team with her in a team jersey and the front page headline read, “the queen of green – AND gold!”, Weissbach was impressed that his term for her had now become part of the local lexicon.

Proclaiming himself the “sultan of sarcasm” and the “prince of prattle”, I’ll always remember how he opened his own talk show segment every day he went on air in Edmonton. He would welcome his audience with:
This is the show with no false gods and no sacred cows.
It’s the show that looks behind the facade, pricks the pretensions, and questions the veil we are told is reality.
It’s the show that encourages you to THINK and, once having thought, STAND UP and SPEAK OUT.

November 24, 2017 - 10:15 am

Ian McClelland

The Weissbach era in Edmonton resulted in change well beyond the signal strength of CJCA. Peter challenged us to challenge ourselves and to believe each one of us had the potential to be an agent of positive change.

He did not suffer fools and was quick to point out holes in arguments of guests and callers alike, from all political perspectives. He was respected as fair and honest.

I came to know him off air and we became friends. A friendship of families beyond the daily grind, a friendship I will cherish forever.