RIP Andy Michaelson, ex-C-ISL, CKNW, CJOR

According to Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters, former Vancouver broadcaster Andy Michaelson died May 10th in the Edmonton suburb of St. Albert.  He began a career as a radio announcer and reporter at CHED Edmonton, followed by CKYL Peace River, CJCA Edmonton, and CISL, CKNW and CJOR in Vancouver, where he was on-air as Andy Michaels during the 1970s, then was a communications professional and consultant in Vancouver and Edmonton.  Finally he found his calling as a writer and poet in St. Albert.  A Celebration of Life will be held from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 20 at The John Beedle Centre – St. Albert Botanic Park, 265 Sturgeon Road, St. Albert, AB.

Published on May 14, 2017 at 10:46 am by Ron Robinson

Comments

May 14, 2017 - 3:37 pm

Bob Price

Sad to hear this. I worked with Andy at CISL around 1986-87. Always a nice guy….. RIP.

May 14, 2017 - 5:58 pm

Terry Bell

RIP Andy.

May 14, 2017 - 7:20 pm

Voice Over

More Connections…

May 15, 2017 - 1:13 pm

Jerry Bellikka

Saddened to hear this news. Andy and I have known each other more than 20 years and his sense of humour has always been a source of amusement for me. I always looked forward to the days when my phone would ring and Andy would be on the line with a deep belly laugh full of details of his latest encounter with those who became victims of his wit. He served as a Communications officer with the Alberta government for several years in the Justice department and could always be counted upon to provide an intrepid reporter with a straight answer. He brought great joy to countless children with his role as Santa at numerous Christmas events, and his witty poetry was a treat for fellow writers. He also had one of the best collections of Scotch you will ever find!

May 15, 2017 - 3:54 pm

Tom Mark

Very saddened to hear of Andy’s passing. Andy and I lost contact over the years as so often happens in this business. He was a great partner on Mark and Michaelson in the morning. He had a fantastic wit and was always thinking up new ideas to bring to the show. I can’t imagine having done it without him. He changed the way I looked at things and made me a better anchor. To this day, I still use a Mark and Michaelson coffee mug at work. I’m glad Andy found new life in St Albert and became a success in a field he probably never thought of in those old days. RIP Andy.