Edmonton’s Bounce Rebrands as KiSS 91.7
Big change in Edmonton this morning – from Bounce to KiSS 91.7
History of Bounce
Courtesy of Wikipedia
91.7 The Bounce (CHBN) signed on the air on February 17, 2005.
When the station first signed on, the Bounce aired a rhythmic top 40 format, but moved to the current CHR format in December 2005. They became the only CHR station in the Edmonton market when CKRA (96X) shifted their format to play a Hot AC format in August 2005, and then later to country music four months later. After this surprise development, The Bounce shifted more to pop music.
Every year in October, in an event called “Bras Across the Bridge”, for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Bounce collects bras from listeners. For each bra donated, CHBN donates $1 to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. At the end of the month, they then tie all the bras together, to see how many times they can span the string of bras across the Edmonton High Level Bridge.
At the time of their launch, the Bounce was jointly owned by CHUM Limited and Milestone Radio. In June 2007, all of CHUM’s assets, including its share of CHBN, were sold to CTVglobemedia. On June 23, 2010, it was announced that CHBN would be sold to Rogers (which also owns Edmonton’s World FM and Sonic), along with its sister station in London, Ontario, CHST-FM, pending CRTC approval. The acquisition also saw the reunion of CHBN with its sister station CKEM-DT for the first time since 2007.
When CFMG-FM flipped from AC to CHR as “Virgin Radio”, it marked the first three-station FM top 40 battle in Edmonton as of February 2011 (the other competitor being CJNW). Since the launch of Virgin Radio, The Bounce has been playing fewer commercials, as seen with the introduction of Commercial Free Mondays, and playing more currents and higher-charting songs than its competition. CHBN will continue to report on Mediabase and Nielsen BDS‘ Canadian contemporary hit radio panel.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Four more today! So far, 12 this week have been let go by JP
- Vancouver Radio PPM’s .. May 29 – Aug. 27 2017…
- Kasia Bodurka joins Global BC As New Weekend Weather…
- Michael Kuss quits Global BC to enter a career in Radio!…
- Jody Vance to Middays at Vancouver’s Roundhouse Radio
- After 12 Years, Former NDP Cabinet Minister is Out at CBC…
- Coleen Christie lands a new gig
- KJR Host Mitch Levy Arrested in Prostitution Sting
- Red’s Diner Last Show on CISL 650 was Sunday!
- Susan Knight heads back to Victoria for a new gig with…