Host Moving Just a Few Blocks East
By Tim Molloy, TheWrap.com July 23, 2014 @ 11:14 am
“We’re thrilled to continue broadcasting CBS’s ‘Late Show’ from New York and call the Ed Sullivan Theater its home,” said CBS CEO Les Moonves, who announced the decision to keep the show close to its roots in a joint announcement with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and Leslie Moonves, President and Chief Executive Officer, CBS Corporation, today announced that the LATE SHOW with Stephen Colbert will remain in New York and will continue broadcasting from the historic Ed Sullivan Theatre. The agreement includes a commitment by CBS for approximately 200 New York-based jobs to support the daily program’s year-round production schedule.
“Today, I am pleased to announce that the ‘Late Show’ will stay in New York, where it belongs. New York has long been an international entertainment leader, and with this commitment from CBS we are beginning the next chapter in that proud history,” Cuomo said.
The decision further establishes New York as the center of the late night universe. Last year,Jimmy Fallon elected to move “The Tonight Show” to NBC’s 30 Rockefeller Plaza instead of keeping the show in Burbank, where it had taped since Johnny Carson moved the show west four decades ago.
“David Letterman has graced this hall and city with comedy and entertainment that defined a generation,” Moonves said. “When Dave decides to pass the baton next year, we look forward to welcoming Stephen Colbert, one of the most innovative and respected forces on TV, to this storied television theater. I would also like to applaud Gov. Cuomo for all that he has done to keep New York a vibrant and attractive location for all forms of television production. We’re excited to be here in late night for many years to come.”