New York had David Letterman. LA has Jimmy Kimmel. Las Vegas has John Barbour.
At 86, the godfather of reality television isn’t finished creating…
by Ed Komenda,
November 16, 2019
LAS VEGAS – On a wall in John Barbour’s home office is a cast of famous faces he’s met over the years – often in front of a rolling TV camera.
There he is shaking Ronald Reagan’s hand.
And that’s him roasting his mentor, Redd Foxx, on “The Dean Martin Show.”
And there he is interviewing Jane Fonda — and Muhammad Ali.
And look here, tucked in a frame — a 1978 letter from Ol’ Blue Eyes:
“You ain’t a Henny Youngman, but you’re all mine,” Frank Sinatra wrote of “I Met A Man I Didn’t Like” – Barbour’s second comedy record. “I will be in touch during the two weeks I’m in L.A., I have a thought regarding you and me.”
Sinatra introduced Barbour on “The Tonight Show.”
The relics in Barbour’s office are just a few from a show business career that earned him five Emmys.
Barbour is best known as “the godfather of reality TV” for his work as creator, producer and co-host of the hit show “Real People.” The program showed viewers pre-taped segments infused with banter about jobs and hobbies of everyday folks. It aired from 1979 to 1984.
But almost a decade earlier, Barbour captivated audiences with a sharp and humorous interviewing style as the original host of the Los Angeles morning show “AM LA.”
Read Much More HERE
John Barbour will be returning to Canada for his second book tour in February of 2020
His book is called, Your Mother’s Not a Virgin, which would make a great stocking stuffer this Christmas
To purchase his remarkable book, by the remarkable man, click on image below.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Corus Radio’s Alberta Shakeup: Two Country 105…
- On the road with billionaire Jim Pattison
- Ricky Gervais Tells Hollywood to “F***…
- Rosemary Barton dropped from CBC’s The National,…
- Scores are Cut Loose in US iHeart Restructuring
- Veteran journalists depart CTV Ottawa amid ‘dramatic…
- Troy Scott joins Rogers with a move to Calgary…
- Bell plans to remove AMC from Bell TV on February 1
- Luisa Alvarez Leaves CHEK for CTV Vancouver
- Vancouver weekly ‘Georgia Straight’ sold…