Chuck’s Classics, featuring The Beach Boys
Sloop John B
Beach Boys were formed in 1961 in California, and became one of the most influential bands of all time. Original group consisted of brothers Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson; plus cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine. They had a “load” of hits including this one from 1966. Over the years individuals left the group and some came back. Active 1961 to 1998, and again from 2011 to 2012.
Chuck Benson – Started his broadcast career in 1960 as a writer at CKYL, Peace River, AB, where in 1965 he won the Gold Leaf Award (now called the Juno) for Top Disc Jockey for Canada. From there, a brief stint at CFRN, Edmonton, AB as Promotions Manager for AM/FM Radio. Then in ’62 helped open CKNL Fort St. John, BC. In ’68 Chuck and two others (Ernie Mushtuk and Ernie Mykyte) started up Yellowhead Broadcasting Ltd out of Edson, AB, eventually ending up with satellites in Grande Cache, Jasper, Whitecourt and Hinton, AB. He sold his interests and moved to Vancouver, ending up with CFVR, Abbotsford as General Sales Manager, then Manager of CHPQ, Parksville, and eventually as a Sales Consultant with CIGV-FM in Penticton. Chuck is retired from broadcasting and living with his wife in Parksville
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- CONFIRMED: Off-Air Bloodbath at CTV Vancouver
- Victoria’s CHEK Adds Joe Perkins, Loses Ben…
- Edmonton’s HOT 107 Rebrands As POWER 107
- Changes coming to KiSS Victoria… yes again.
- Calvin To Leaving CHEK
- Andrew Grose Exits 630 CHED
- Victoria’s Newish Radio Station is called, you…
- Willy In The Morning Launches On Q 107 In Calgary
- Vancouver’s CKNW Celebrates 75 Years!
- ‘CBS Evening News’ ratings plummet on Norah…