Calgary & Saskatchewan Broadcaster John Himpe Dies at 38
A well-travelled voice in news and talk radio in the prairies has fallen silent. John Himpe died in a Calgary hospital at the age of 38.
Kerri Kowchuk, Himpe’s sister, said “we’re devastated and heartbroken.”
“John was such a beautiful son, brother, uncle and friend. To say he’ll be missed is an understatement.”
“John was a true gentleman, a strong journalist, an innovative leader in the radio industry and — perhaps most importantly — a true friend. He touched the day-to-day lives of all of us.”
A graduate of SAIT’s Broadcast News program, Himpe worked his way up Saskatchewan’s Rawlco radio ranks over 15 years to become the province-wide program director for interactive and then news talk radio. Himpe also became a morning voice for Regina’s CJME radio as a co-host and show producer.
Himpe made his way west to join Global News Radio 770 CHQR in Calgary as a reporter and then executive producer in the last year of his career in broadcasting.
READ MORE HERE AT THE GLOBAL NEWS WEBSITE
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- Victoria’s KOOL FM Fires Morning Show
- Updates on Stingray changes
- Victoria’s KOOL FM Teasing a Change
- More on Victoria’s KOOL FM Morning Show Changes
- They Didn’t Get to Say Goodbye: the Abrupt End…
- “Save Cold Lake Radio”! (Stingray is…
- Victoria’s KOOL FM becomes 107.3 Virgin Radio
- ‘The Breeze’ Arrives in Vancouver at 104.3
- RIP Broadcaster Mike Cleaver, Newsman…