Calgary & Saskatchewan Broadcaster John Himpe Dies at 38
A well-travelled voice in news and talk radio in the prairies has fallen silent. John Himpe died in a Calgary hospital at the age of 38.
Kerri Kowchuk, Himpe’s sister, said “we’re devastated and heartbroken.”
“John was such a beautiful son, brother, uncle and friend. To say he’ll be missed is an understatement.”
“John was a true gentleman, a strong journalist, an innovative leader in the radio industry and — perhaps most importantly — a true friend. He touched the day-to-day lives of all of us.”
A graduate of SAIT’s Broadcast News program, Himpe worked his way up Saskatchewan’s Rawlco radio ranks over 15 years to become the province-wide program director for interactive and then news talk radio. Himpe also became a morning voice for Regina’s CJME radio as a co-host and show producer.
Himpe made his way west to join Global News Radio 770 CHQR in Calgary as a reporter and then executive producer in the last year of his career in broadcasting.
READ MORE HERE AT THE GLOBAL NEWS WEBSITE
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- CONFIRMED: Off-Air Bloodbath at CTV Vancouver
- Edmonton’s HOT 107 Rebrands As POWER 107
- Victoria’s CHEK Adds Joe Perkins, Loses Ben…
- Changes coming to KiSS Victoria… yes again.
- Calvin To Leaving CHEK
- Andrew Grose Exits 630 CHED
- Victoria’s Newish Radio Station is called, you…
- Willy In The Morning Launches On Q 107 In Calgary
- Vancouver’s CKNW Celebrates 75 Years!
- Freeway Frank & Co-host ousted from Virgin Montreal