CBS & NBC: their Ups and Downs After Firing Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose
‘Today’: Ratings show replacing Lauer with Hoda Kotb was a winning strategy
The ‘Today’ show’s Al Roker says Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb were the “perfect people” to step in after the Matt Lauer sexual misconduct scandal. Robert Deutsch, USAToday
NEW YORK – A year after morning news shows at CBS and NBC abruptly lost male anchors Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer in sexual misconduct scandals, the “Today” show has done appreciably better weathering the storm.
Momentum at “CBS This Morning,” the most buzzworthy morning show for a handful of years, stopped dead with Rose’s firing. Last week CBS announced the exit of Ryan Kadro, the show’s top executive who had worked there since its 2012 launch, leaving an uncertain future.
“Today” is hardly problem-free – remember Megyn Kelly? – but it has the steadiest audience of all three network morning shows. The elevation of Hoda Kotb into Lauer’s role is widely perceived as a winner.
Rose lost his job in November 2017 following allegations of improper behavior with women who had worked with him. Lauer’s downfall, also due to reports of inappropriate relationships with women, came less than two weeks later.
The long history of “Today” likely helps it absorb hits. The show launched in 1952 and while it has had missteps – it has never recovered the dominance it enjoyed prior to the ham-fisted departure of Ann Curry a decade ago – “Today” viewers can be confident it will be around tomorrow.
READ MORE HERE AT THE USA TODAY WEBSITE
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- TSN 1040’s Dave Pratt out as Bell Media makes…
- Vancouver Radio PPMs Nov. 26 2018 – Feb. 24 2019
- Edmonton Radio PPMs – Nov. 26th – Feb 24th 2019
- Only female and white candidate gets deplatformed…
- Scott Fee Returns to CHEK-TV as News Director
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- CBC apologizes for broadcasting fake news on the…
- Longtime WABC Weather Anchor is Suddenly Gone
- Another Firing at TSN 1040 .. Football Analyst…
- 101.5 Today Radio Signs on in Calgary, Replacing KooL FM