as posted by BBC News Sept. 25 2018
Bill Cosby a ‘Sexually Violent Predator,’ Judge Rules
A Pennsylvania judge has ruled Bill Cosby, the comic once dubbed America’s Dad, is a sexually violent predator.
The label means Cosby, 81, must undergo counselling for life and appear on the sex offenders’ registry.
A judge made the ruling ahead of sentencing the comedian for drugging and molesting a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.
At a retrial in April, Cosby was found guilty of three counts of sexual assaultagainst Andrea Constand.
Tuesday’s classification means he will need to register with state police and notify any community he lives in of his sex offender status, as well as undergo mandatory counselling for life.
Neighbours, childcare centres and schools will have be notified of his whereabouts.
The actor’s defence team had argued the state’s sex offender law was too severe given Cosby’s age and the fact that he is legally blind.
The disgraced comedian’s two-day hearing at Montgomery County Courthouse in Pennsylvania began on Monday with legal debate over the violent predator label.
Psychologist Kristen Dudley testified on Monday that Cosby showed signs of a mental disorder and was likely to reoffend.
In addition to the label, Cosby still faces a maximum prison term of 10 years after an agreement between prosecutors and his defence team, but there is no mandatory minimum for the convictions.
The Montgomery County District Attorney, Kevin Steele, called for five to 10 years in jail for aggravated indecent assault.
Cosby’s defence is pushing instead for house arrest.
READ THE REST OF THE STORY HERE.
Published on September 25, 2018 at 9:47 am by boredop
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- My take on the changes at Corus
- Joe Rainey of Capitol Records Has Passed Away at 43
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- Longtime Broadcaster Terry Moore Dead at 82 … Cancer
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- CKNW Loses Bailey Nicholson to News 1130
- Radio station hires replacement for fired DJ Dave Wheeler
- Firings at Edmonton’s Newcap cluster, Capital…
- After 30 years of Rockin’ Edmonton, Rob Berg…