Did Bell Lobby Ryerson U to Support FairPlay Website-blocking Coalition?
More documents unearthed by Michael Geist point towards Bell lobbying Canadian post-secondary institutions
By Sameer Chhabra, MapleSyrup.com AUG 8, 2018
More documents unearthed by University of Ottawa internet law professor Michael Geist point to the fact that Bell lobbied post-secondary institutions to support the FairPlay Canada website-blocking coalition.
Geist was able to obtain these documents through Canada’s access to information laws. MobileSyrup has not had the opportunity to review original copies of the documents.
According to a blog post Geist published on August 8th, 2018, TSN senior vice president Mark Milliere lobbied Charles Falzon, dean of Ryerson University’s Faculty of Communication and Design (FCAD), to support the FairPlay Canada coalition.
“There are as always varying views allowed to nurture at a University” — Charles Falzon, dean of Ryerson University’ Faculty of Communication and Design
FairPlay Canada is comprised of approximately 25 Canadian media companies — including Bell and Rogers Media — whose goal is to convince the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to establish an Independent Piracy Review Agency (IPRA) to review websites that “blatantly engaged” in content theft.
Read more HERE.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Victoria’s CHEK Adds Joe Perkins, Loses Ben…
- Sportsnet Prepares for Massive Layoffs
- Andrew Grose Exits 630 CHED
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- Sportsnet Jettisons Number of Off-Air Jobs in Rogers…
- ‘CBS Evening News’ ratings plummet on Norah…
- Matthew McBride on the CRTC Hot Seat in September
- Scott Fee Returns to CHEK-TV as News Director
- Longtime Breakfast Television host Riaz Meghji…
- Joe Perkins Makes his CHEK Debut; O’Hara-Byrne…