JJ Richards Obituary Courtesy Vancouver Sun
RICHARDS, James Joseph
It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of James Joseph Richards, better known as “JJ”, at his adopted home in Rancho Mirage, California on June 30, 2018 at the age of 88.
Born May 12, 1930 in Brandon, Manitoba, JJ was a loving husband, father and grandfather who will be fondly remembered and dearly missed by all who knew him, including his wife Tasia, children Joseph and Tania, grandsons Jackson, Levi and Christopher James, sister Bunny, as well as his many friends and extended family in BC, Toronto, and California.
Quick-witted and always eager to tell a story, JJ will be remembered for his captivating voice, deadpan humour, tireless generosity, and an unwavering love of family. Having pioneered a career in broadcasting that spanned some 50 years, JJ worked for a variety of television and radio news outlets across the country, beginning as a teenage disc-jockey in Brandon before moving on to CKUA in Edmonton, CBC and CHUM in Toronto, CKDA in Victoria, and C-FUN/QM- FM in Vancouver to name but a few.
JJ received the Radio-Television News Directors Association Distinguished Service Award in 1993 and the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004 for his accomplishments as a political journalist covering some of the most important news stories of the 20th Century. In his later years, he was an active member of the St. George Greek Orthodox Church in Palm Desert, and spent 20 years with the Variety Club in Vancouver and Palm Springs.
A Celebration of Life will be held in Vancouver in August. Please email [email protected] to RSVP.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- Victoria’s KOOL FM Fires Morning Show
- Victoria’s KOOL FM Teasing a Change
- More on Victoria’s KOOL FM Morning Show Changes
- Victoria’s KOOL FM becomes 107.3 Virgin Radio
- “Save Cold Lake Radio”! (Stingray is…
- They Didn’t Get to Say Goodbye: the Abrupt End…
- ‘The Breeze’ Arrives in Vancouver at 104.3
- RIP Broadcaster Mike Cleaver, Newsman…
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…