Is TSN 1040’s Vancouver Whitecaps away-game coverage really live? by Martin Dunphy
Originally Published: May 8, 2018
TSN 1040 bills itself as the “Home of Whitecaps FC”, and the radio station has been covering Whitecaps games in one form or another since 2001.
But in 2017 it stopped sending its broadcast team on the road to cover the ‘Caps, except for matches against big Cascadia rivals Seattle and Portland, both of which are conveniently—and less expensively—just a few hours’ drive down the I-5.
That’s because they never seem to actually tell listeners that they are not in the broadcast booth in the away stadiums. Instead—at least in several archived broadcasts sampled by the Georgia Straight—Basso and Dolan repeatedly refer to themselves as being “here” when referencing the home team’s pitch.
Not once were either of the hosts heard to say that they were watching the game in their home city on a big-screen monitor with piped-in sound.
Fans can go to TSN 1040’s audio-archive page to listen to away broadcasts, complete with post-match shows. In the April 7 Whitecaps road game against Western Conference rivals Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, the broadcast opened with sounds of the crowd, stadium announcements, cheers, and chants.
Read More HERE
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- My take on the changes at Corus
- Joe Rainey of Capitol Records Has Passed Away at 43
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- Longtime Broadcaster Terry Moore Dead at 82 … Cancer
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- CKNW Loses Bailey Nicholson to News 1130
- Radio station hires replacement for fired DJ Dave Wheeler
- Firings at Edmonton’s Newcap cluster, Capital…
- After 30 years of Rockin’ Edmonton, Rob Berg…