CKNW Announces Retirement of Longtime Radio Personality Jon McComb

Jon McComb

After more than 50 years broadcasting and 36 years at CKNW, McComb’s Last Day On-Air with The Jon McComb Show is December 13, 2019CKNW announces retirement of Jon McComb after an impressive 36 years with the station.

For Immediate Release VANCOUVER, November, 18, 2019 Jon McComb, legendary Global News Radio 980 CKNW personality announced today his retirement from The Jon McComb Show, effective December 13, 2019. McComb has been with the station for over 36 years and has spent the last half-century in broadcasting.

“Jon is an award winning newsman, commentator and personality. His success isn’t only in longevity but in his ability to reinvent and perform in any role or time slot,” said Larry Gifford, National Director, AM Radio, Corus Entertainment. “Jon leaves CKNW as top dog, the most listened to radio host in Vancouver today, and is credited with helping build a legacy that we all know and love. He’s also a dear friend and is welcome to visit whenever he gets an itch to get behind the mic again.”

“As this phase of my career comes to a close, I am humbled and honoured to have been invited into the daily routines of hundreds of thousands of CKNW listeners. When I began broadcasting, almost 50 years, I couldn’t have imagined an audience so loyal, informed, intelligent and sometimes challenging,” said Jon McComb. “When I talked about my issues with depression and anxiety on the air a few years back, I was overwhelmed by the love, support and encouragement that flowed in from listeners. We’ve agreed and disagreed on every issue under the sun…but what I’ll remember and cherish the most are the daily opportunities to make real and human connections, at least when I wasn’t yelling at someone in power! Thank you.” McComb began working with CKNW in 1983 and has held a variety of roles with the station. Before joining CKNW, McComb worked at CFCF and CJAD in Montreal and stations in Arizona and Oregon. He was the first CKNW news reporter to become a full time talk host.  A recognizable voice across the province, he is known for his astute commentary on political affairs and current events. Passionate about mental health, he is a board member of the Mood Disorders Association of B.C. (MDABC), as well as a fierce advocate for ALS. During his time at CKNW, McComb has helped hundreds of charities and organizations, with a special focus on CKNW Kids’ Fund that has seen McComb support the millions raised in support of kids in need in the lower mainland.   CKNW will pay tribute to McComb on-air with surprise guests and classic McComb moments over the next four weeks.  A new host will be announced in the coming weeks.

– 30 –

Published on November 18, 2019 at 9:25 am by Voice Over

Comments

November 18, 2019 - 10:55 am

Terry Bell

Jon my friend, your dulcet tones will be missed by one and all. I always enjoyed our visits whenever our paths crossed at whatever time of day. Here’s hoping you and your family will now get to spend some additional quality time together. And, let’s not forget that new motorcycle you’ve had your eyes on!
Cheers, JM.

November 18, 2019 - 11:06 am

Daryl

Would Mike Smyth get the gig–

November 18, 2019 - 11:34 am

Bud

A stalwart. The last professional in the ‘NW lineup. His replacement will make or break’NW, which is already trailing-gasp- CBC. It is sad that the best replacement in sight is a newspaper guy who is an excellent reporter and a real bulldog but an appalling broadcaster.

JM will be sorely missed and may well mark, not only the end of an era…but CKNW as well.

November 18, 2019 - 12:31 pm

Mr McComb, its not fair. Ive been listening to NW since the mid 70s . Some of the changes have been great some have been down right dreadful. You have always been one of the bright lights at NW. You will stand with Frosty Mcrae Raif Good and you pal Till. You will be missed really missed as I cant imagine (other than Smyth) anyone that will fill your shoes. I certainly dont see any of the current staff taking over.
Ive talked to you on air a few times and its always fun and entertaining. BTW the reason its not fair is pure unadulterated jealousy. I believe were the same age 66. Your going to sit at home or on the deck with Till and Ive got to keep on trucking.
One last question. Why were you so hard on Christy Clark?
I hope your next 50 years are more fun than your last 50

November 18, 2019 - 12:42 pm

BTW the reason I use 13 as an alias is it a lucky day. I met my wife on Friday the 13. We got married on the 13th
Our dog was born on Friday 13 (2011)
You picked an awesome day to say good bye

November 18, 2019 - 2:40 pm

CC

Listened to you forever Jon…..afternoons. with Till and then when you switched to the morning show. Your calming voice is one I’ve loved listening to and will miss. Good luck to you in the future, you’ve earned a well deserved sleep in or two!

November 18, 2019 - 3:28 pm

Newsman

Let the speculation begin.

Mike Smyth
Lynda Steele
Drex
Simi Sara
Jill Bennett
John “back on the beat” Daly
Sterling “Vancouver Consumer” Faux
Don Cherry
The Drex fill-in guy
George Noory

November 18, 2019 - 4:06 pm

@newsman
erase the two comical suggestions and you have two possible candidates #1 #5
But Noory might buy the station and bring back c to c

November 18, 2019 - 5:50 pm

Really?

Newsman, none of the above. NW should look outside the market and bring in some fresh talent. The usual retreads will not win it for you. Their morning show problems run deeper then simply the host. Their news reader simply repeats stories, with no attempt at a new angle, or even a rewrite. They have zero sports coverage other then the previous night’s scores which are already dated. Weather reports consist of the over-nice people from tv telling me about ‘your’ Thursday and ‘our’ Friday. No one talks like that and it sounds silly. Their choice and execution of station contests/giveaways is laughable. So, bottom line, as one of the greatest advertising geniuses this country ever produced, Frank Palmer always says ‘take care of the details’. In fact, NW suits would be well-advised to bring Frank in and let him work some magic. Radio managers and consultants are too close and inbred to see the bigger picture.

November 18, 2019 - 7:04 pm

really? you just described exactly what the PD Gifford has created. Outside talent isnt going to fix any of your complaints. Maybe a new owner and a new PD

November 18, 2019 - 7:53 pm

Donovan

Willy Percy?

November 18, 2019 - 8:57 pm

BMCQ

Over the years I mostly liked McComb and I believe his editorials when he did them offered a lot to the listener whether one agreed or not, he always seemed to be able to strike a chord and make you think and to me that is good radio .

I feel that the whole culture at the station began to change a few years ago when a new PD was brought in and things seemed to unravel .

On Air types will deny it but the PD created a narrative and an agenda at the station that to me seemed to suck the air out of any chance of fair and balanced programming .

I agree with earlier comments that if the station does not get the right person for the job in that time slot the whole “House of Cards” could come down around them .

IMHO Michael Smyth would be a natural and he is successful as a Sub, people listen to him and he appears to ask the tough questions of all parties, there are no sacred cows .

If they hire Smyth they could begin by bringing “Cutting Edge” back with Palmer and Baldrey every Friday for an hour with the first half for discussion between Smyth and the other two and then a half hour of calls, I believe that would work quite nicely .

Good Luck to McComb !

November 19, 2019 - 7:27 am

Newsman

Yes, I agree with @Really? above but can’t think of an outside candidate at the moment. The station said a replacement would be named within a couple of weeks which has me thinking the selection is already made, and therefore likely in house. Let’s hear some more speculation.

November 19, 2019 - 8:37 am

Bud

Smyth is the only possible known candidate in my view. None of the others have the credentials. In fact none of them are qualified to carry JM’s lunch. I have never understood how Jill Bennet remains on the air. Her hit and miss delivery is very irritating and she is the only person I have ever heard, in broadcasting or not, who hyphenates single syllable words! I have tied and can’t do it. Unless Corus has found a wunderkind somewhere, Smyth seems the most logical choice. Not that Corus is renowned for making the most logical choice. At least JM went on his own and not on a trumped-up charge of “sprinkles”.

November 19, 2019 - 11:01 am

@BMCQ I heard JM with Smyth at 637 this am. Mike wished JM well and said his good byes. JM straight out said that he had received many emails suggesting that Smyth would be a great replacement. Smyth was non committal except to say he had a hard time with the early start. Now if the station allowed him to do the show from Victoria he might be able to pull it off. Smyth also has the ability to do the lighter side stuff, contests, cat up a tree etc. and not come across as an imbecile. I cant think of anyone that is better suited than Mike Smyth

November 19, 2019 - 11:23 am

Newsman

Smyth has apparently turned down NW offers in the past. Perhaps now that his children are older he might reconsider, not to mention that Postmedia could be on its last legs.

November 19, 2019 - 1:05 pm

George in Richmond

Personally, I will be glad to see Jon go. Too much Trump Derangement Syndrome, Global Warming Agitprop and the usual Globalist B.S. In a way, kind of surprising as I called into his show about 10 years ago when he was actually critical of the man-made Global Warming nonsense. I thought, at the time, that it was refreshing that a radio station personality would allow actual debate as I was able to get some of my points in (and yes, I actually have some training in that area).
As for what Jon has provided in the past few years, my kids would describe it best: “OK Boomer”

November 19, 2019 - 3:07 pm

BMCQ

The PD and other management are crazy if they don’t talk to Smyth and allow him to do show from Victoria, it appears to work when he fills in so why not, who else is there that can really appeal to the bulk of the NW Leadership ?

George

I stated up the page that things at NW had changed in the past few years and I am convinced that PD changed the whole culture at what I now call CKNDP and that includes the TDS, they are almost all in basic Meltdown when it comes to their opinion of The Big Orange Menace .

Give JILL Bennett credit, she really is more open minded and balanced and much like Smyth she is happy to criticize any one or any Party regardless of Brand, is that not how it should be ?

Trump could walk across the Fraser on top of the Water rescue 2 drowning children and most in media today especially the NW PD would put up a Headline that reads like this .
”Trump can’t Swim “ !

November 19, 2019 - 8:55 pm

Bagoverheadguy

Frosty would be so refreshing about now, and send morning show ratings to the moon…
Come on FF, saddle up & ride again!

November 20, 2019 - 3:54 pm

TunedOut

Have to agree with @Really. Newscasts are repetitive and boring, and the weather people saying ‘your’ and ‘our’ is just plain silly and wrong. Tuned out and now full-time CBC listener. At least they talk to me like I’m an adult.

November 21, 2019 - 1:29 am

BMCQ

Tuned

I must confess I do listen to radio quite frequently When I am in the car but I have absolutely NO idea where CBC happens to be on that Dial .

Other than McComb weekday Talk Show line up at CKNW does not offer me much yet Smyth, Bennett, Roy Green, Michael Campbell, Bruce, Palmer all appeal to me so I suppose I would consider myself a CKNW Listener other than when in the car weekdays where I tune into SXM after 10 AM almost entirely .

I suppose much of CKNW still appeals to me and many more, so perhaps they are in some way striking a balance of sorts it just seems that some of what they offer is not what appeals to me personally .

At this point I have heard nothing about a McComb successor but IMHO that choice will have a dramatic affect on the future of the station and I for one am hopeful but not overly confident .

November 22, 2019 - 8:05 am

Newsman

Too bad the two Corus FM properties are strong players in the local radio field. If one became an NW outlet the station would be so much more competitive. Think of KFBK 1530 Sacramento. That station doesn’t even bother announcing its AM frequency any more.

November 23, 2019 - 8:24 pm

David

Newsmans No. 1 and No. 5. Sterling, enough already.

November 25, 2019 - 9:02 am

Terry Bell

I find it sad that this page has been given over to people who find it easier to slam ‘NW than to say something nice about a man who did his job well for the same company over 36 years. A record few may lay claim to.
Let’s chat about Jon and his career and not about who’s going to replace him or the station’s place in the ratings. This shouldn’t be about that.

November 25, 2019 - 11:18 am

BMCQ

Terry

Looks like you have appointed yourself the “Thought Police” all of a sudden .

Personally I like McComb a lot and agree with him most of the time and I also always have enjoyed his Superior Editorials he once did very often, they were among the best one could hear even when I disagreed with him about say 15% of the time .

Look, I am not a Media Person I am obviously not a Journalist or a Writer I am Private Business and it has worked out quit well so far . I have many people here in YVR, the U.S., Australia, and the UK that I might attempt to order around if I was a rude, aggressive, egotistical but I allow freedom of thought and expression, it encourages the fertile mind .

Why would anyone want to dictate what people here state about CKNW along with their comments regarding McComb ?

They way I would/do look at the commentary about NW and the replacement of McComb is that I believe those people all care about NW and they want to see certain things take place and they would like to suggest certain opinions and ideas in the hope that NW Management might see those opinions and thoughts . Thee is nothing wrong with that and I am quite certain Mr. McComb would accept, understand, and appreciate the fact that people care about NW and what is to come .

I have opinions as do many that Post here and I do not always agree with everyone but it would never cross my mind to tell any one here that they must adhere to certain topic content when the PSR staff themselves have allowed what I believe is a nice healthy respectful exchange along with the McComb Tribute .

What can be wrong about that ?

I doubt if my offering here will find favour with you but I do not believe people are meant to be offensive, I believe they have/had something else in mind .

November 26, 2019 - 9:02 am

Terry

Whew! I yield.

December 1, 2019 - 9:31 am

Speculating on Jon McCombs replacement in no way diminishes his retirement accolades. If Mr McComb was not well liked and hadnt had a stellar career it would be much easier to find a replacement. As it is he commands the utmost respect and Corus has the daunting task of not only replacing him with someone as capable and respected but someone that might even preform at a higher level.
To speculate that Corus will fail miserably in this endeavor in no way disrespects McComb.

December 1, 2019 - 2:04 pm

BMCQ

Common senses and sound logic ?

How dare you !

While we are all still here –

I humbly salute Jon McComb !