Arlo Guthrie has today’s almost forgotten track

When the name Arlo Guthrie comes up to most, the only song they can identify is his epic Alice’s Restaurant, but, for those old enough, they remember many more that reached the masses before he withdrew to a quieter life…he didn’t retire, but he did decide that he didn’t need to be as busy as he had become, and moved to Colorado, emerging occasionally for special events and tours of shorter duration…among the songs that he implanted on us besides his biggest were a version of Steve Goodman’s City of New Orleans, the drug dealer’s tale Comin’ Into Los Angeles, and this silly song that shows his humour as well as any, particularly in this rambling live version…

Greg Simpson

Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then. His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992, Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.

Published on June 10, 2018 at 9:05 pm by Greg Simpson

Comments

June 13, 2018 - 7:42 pm

Really never was a die hard Arlo Guthrie fan BUT if Im listening to a music station and Alice’s Restaurant gets air time I stop what Im doing and relax and listen for the 13 give or take minutes it lasts. Another lengthy forgotten track you might high lite some day is The Sinking of the Titanic by Jamie Brocket. I think it was banned back in the day.

June 13, 2018 - 9:50 pm

Greg Simpson

I may have heard the Brocket track, but I don’t recall it…now I’ll check it out.

June 13, 2018 - 9:54 pm

Greg Simpson

Just listened, 13…got a couple of minutes into it and must say that it may be way beyond “almost” forgotten…can’t say I recall ever hearing it before…where did it get airplay, commercially, that you’re aware of?

June 16, 2018 - 7:16 am

I must have heard it on a Vancouver rock station because Ive lived here all my life. Probably in the late 60s or early 70s on whatever station JB Shane aka Captain Midnight worked at.

June 16, 2018 - 8:02 am

Greg, Ive got to thank you for your almost forgotten posts. Your querie about where I heard it got me thinking(remembering) about JB Shayne. A bit of research and it was without a doubt Captain Midnight that played that song. If my memory serves me JB was a very popular DJ. I read his bio and it seems he was part of an organizing drive to unionize LG that cost him his job. I think he had even conned the LG station manager out of his Lincoln Town Car. JB also organized late night meetings at a public park on Point Grey Road. A bunch of hippie types would show up and Ill bet the neighborhood was less than impressed.

June 18, 2018 - 7:09 am

Greg Simpson

Thanks 13…appreciate the information…I was programming at the time this came out, and can affirm that It never crossed my desk as far as I’m aware and, also, that if it did, no record rep ever took the time to draw it to my attention…don’t know if that would have made a difference to me, as it certainly didn’t seem to be within the format I was working then…