Wesla Wong moves from Global Kelowna to the Star

Photo: Contributed Wesla Wong

Courtesy of

Published: April 7, 2018

Wesla Wong has traded a microphone for a pair of skis.

SilverStar Mountain Resort has announced Wong has joined the Star and will be building sales relationships in Kelowna, representing SilverStar at various Okanagan events and planning FAM tours.

Wong was an on-air meteorologist on Global Television before switching to the Star.

A release from SilverStar said, “Now she combines her weather knowledge with her media experience to make sure you will always know when your next powder day will be.

“Growing up in BC, Wesla appreciated the outdoors so much that she decided to study meteorology at Mississippi State University to learn how to predict the elements. The first thing that she does every morning is look out her window and analyzes the cloud and sky conditions.”

Original Story HERE

Visit Kelowna’s most popular and informative website Castanet.Net

Published on April 13, 2018 at 12:12 pm by Voice Over

Comments

April 14, 2018 - 2:06 pm

just saying…

According to her Twitter feed, she left due to bullying and her husband, a (now former) meteorologist with Global, also resigned. They are now working together.

April 14, 2018 - 2:17 pm

just saying…

There is a lot of toxicity here regarding people’s voices, hair and “mannequin” appearances that are quite frankly unproductive and negative to a real discussion of the media landscape’s demise. Dialogue on the content we are presented with is important for the future of media. The personal attacks take away from the real issues and discredit us all. We can do better.

April 17, 2018 - 11:36 am

just saying version 2.0

Do you live in the Okanagan ? Well, I do, and Wesla Wong was a very decent hire and a good replacement for the retiring Mike Roberts. perhaps the most likeable on air personality in the Okanagan of all time. However, when the Shaw head office decided to cut back the Global Okanagan evening news with talent from Toronto, that was a slap in the face to Okanagan residents. For over 50 years, this town has had an evening tv news show, but no longer. I think that CHBC has been going downhill for years. First, they cut back over 70 staff a few years ago, including Pat Kennedy, the sports director. Now, evening news is live from Toronto LOL What’s next, Toronto traffic accidents from the Don Valley Parkway ! I don’t blame Wesla for quitting and moving on to Silver Star doing sales. The Kelowna tv station is headed to the dumpster.

April 17, 2018 - 11:59 am

Larry Jordan

“She left due to bullying”?
“Bullying” is an over-used term these days, when it’s applied to ADULT situations.
Bullying is what grade 5 and 6 children do on playgrounds.
Adults are not 10/11 years old.

Lets use ADULT terms.
“Harassed”, “Demeaned” …”

April 17, 2018 - 2:07 pm

just saying version 2.0

There’s always two sides to every story, @Larry Jordan If harassment actually took place, let’s get reaction from Global Okanagan management, as well. To be honest, it’s not the first time that I have heard of harassment from CHBC. However,, when I posted a comment a few years on this subject, it got quickly deleted by Micheal Easton. So, regarding this latest accusation, I guess I’ll just keep quiet about it and then. my post will not get deleted ? sigh

April 29, 2018 - 8:46 am

don kelly

I change the channel as soon as Rick Webber shows his face on the news. Hes’ a disaster. At least Wesla and Dwayne were young and had some energy. Rick is a fossil and should be the one gone.

May 3, 2018 - 5:36 pm

Shirley

WE ENJOYED SEEING WESLA AND DUANE – A GREAT TEAM WHERE ARE THEY????

May 15, 2018 - 1:43 am

Joe Parkinson

Mr. Jordan, don’t poo poo bullying in the workplace if you have never experienced it. It’s real and has destroyed a lot of people’s lives. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect in the workplace.

May 17, 2018 - 6:01 pm

Eva Gainer

I miss seeing Wesla Wong as meteorologist on Global Okanagan CHBC.I was away in ON for a few weeks and when I returned, she and Duane seemed to be gone. I will miss their easy chemistry to make weather reporting fun and interesting, not to mention the advertising and promotions they did in schools and for Silver Star! They did well replacing Mike Roberts and will be a hard act to follow. I wish her and Duane all the best in their new jobs.

May 17, 2018 - 6:06 pm

Eva Gainer

I was away in Ontario for a few weeks and assumed that Wesla and Duane were off on holidays. I am sorry to learn that Wesla and Duane have left. I will miss seeing them on CHBC Global Okanagan. They were a good team, as meteorologists and in the advertising and promotions they did (interacting with elementary students, Silver Star and the Okanagan calendar to name a few). They were fresh, spoke clearly and had an easy chemistry; good replacements for Mike Roberts. Now they will be a hard act to follow. I wish Wesla and Duane well in their new jobs.

May 28, 2018 - 5:28 pm

ColleenHoffman

I am beyond dissapointed that Wesla and Duane are no longer on c.h. b .c.weather.Enjoyed them both so much.I hope them the best in there new venture.So sad.

May 30, 2018 - 5:23 pm

Randy Billow

Just wondering where the union was during all this??

June 10, 2018 - 7:12 pm

Paula lyon

Could the new weather guy do something with his eyebrows ?
I can’t stop staring at them, hard to focus on what hes reporting. I miss Wesla & Duane & their energy.

June 11, 2018 - 5:42 pm

Sam Harasin

I miss Duane and Wesla! It’s not right that there getting rid of the locals!! They better not get rid of Rick, if they do I’ll stop watching the local news!!!!They will lose their viewers one at a time untill were all gone😢

June 13, 2018 - 6:35 pm

Annie Naudts

Wesla and Duane made watching Global Okanagan a joy.
I miss them and their profesionalisme, their sense of humor and ease.
A great loss for all of us, the viewers of Global Okanagan TV.

I wish them the best of luck on their new endevors.

June 17, 2018 - 6:36 pm

Mike Larocque

Too bad that Duane and Wesla are gone, typical crap! We want local news!!

June 29, 2018 - 6:32 pm

Barbara cook

And AGAIN the multi idiots from nowhere NEAR our community commit another stupid action by allowing wesla and Duane to escape. So sad that fine local talent like these two have been lost to us. Congrats to Star. They scored BIG time.