Herbie Mann has today’s almost forgotten track
In the late 60s I was programming an AM top 40 station in London Ontario and was trying to make it stand apart from our competition in St. Thomas…very quickly I realised that as we came on the scene, CHLO (the competition) started to stretch out in the evenings, inspired by what was beginning to happen in FM radio…on a trip to Toronto I got the chance to listen to CHUM-FM, at the time the only Canadian “underground” station I knew, and there, in among Iron Butterfly and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, I heard this and realised I had a long way to go…the song I heard is the first in this short set, but it’s an excuse to remember Herbie Mann anyway, and a dozen years ago I finally got to see him play live in Greenwich Village in NYC, and checked another off the bucket list.
Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then.
His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992,Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- David Espinosa Hall Out at Seattle’s KING TV
- My take on the changes at Corus
- Joe Rainey of Capitol Records Has Passed Away at 43
- Astrid Braunschmidt of CTV Vancouver Island Has…
- Longtime Broadcaster Terry Moore Dead at 82 … Cancer
- Jordan Armstrong, Neetu Garcha to New Slots at Global BC
- CKNW Loses Bailey Nicholson to News 1130
- Radio station hires replacement for fired DJ Dave Wheeler
- Firings at Edmonton’s Newcap cluster, Capital…
- After 30 years of Rockin’ Edmonton, Rob Berg…