Layoffs at Corus

Travis Pelletier

Today Corus laid off several staffers across the country. The first report I received was that evening host Travis Pelletier had been let go, he posted this message on facebook,

They say you’re no one in radio until you get fired. Well looks like I’m finally someone. Thanks for the memories Corus.

Time to start knocking on doors to find that next step.

By this evening I heard that Corus Hamilton let go of a few on air staff at both Fresh 95.3 and Y108, including midday host Chuck Evans and evening host Nick Cino at Y108. Lana Pavolic was evenings at both Fresh Hamilton and London and she is no longer listed on the Hamilton page but she is still on Londons. It may not be accurate as Travis is still listed on FM 96. Fresh Edmonton has also let go of the morning show of Jay and Dani, and the evening show is also now not listed there. There were layoffs in the newsroom as well at CKNW and other stations including, Jeremy Lye, Jon Hall, and Tim Dickert

Also hearing AM980 news (CFPL AM) London host Andrew Lawton is no longer with the station, not sure if it is a layoff or he just left on his own. Leigh Robert who has been at Corus London/Woodstock for several years was let go also.

As we get word of who was let go we will update this post.

“There was a bit of a bloodletting at Corus yesterday. Amongst the casualties is long-time Q107 personality Al Joynes. Al Joynes had been at Q107 since 1988, although I think that includes two separate tours of duty at the station. The program directors at both 102.1 the Edge and Q107 were also let go. That’s Ross MacLeod and Blair Bartrem, respectively.”

Tammy Cole from Winnipeg is going to oversee q and edge
Published on March 27, 2018 at 8:40 pm by Brian Cook

Comments

March 27, 2018 - 9:23 pm

News watcher

Vancouver Sun reports 3 layoffs at CKNW:

Jeremy Lye
Jon Hall
Tim Dickert

March 27, 2018 - 9:54 pm

Crankypants

News Watcher

I suspect there will be more to come from either CKNW or Global TV once the move of the newsroom to Burnaby is completed.

March 27, 2018 - 10:15 pm

News watcher

Please correct the spelling in my comment. That was an autocorrect on mobile that I did not catch and certainly did not intend.

March 27, 2018 - 11:31 pm

News watcher

Indeed there will. It must be an oppressive environment in which to work.

March 28, 2018 - 1:03 am

mike

Wow. very surprised to hear tim and jeremy got let go. Jeremy has a great voice, I always enjoyed listening to him. Feel bad for Tim since he has a family. Good luck to both.

March 28, 2018 - 11:46 am

Richard

HAHAHAHA – I hope Simi VACCINE Sara and Lynda ANTI TRUMP Aluminum are next. Actually it would nice to see Gord NEW WORLD ORDER McDonald get canned.

March 28, 2018 - 1:34 pm

Paul smith

3 men let go…hmmm…is there a message there Corus?

March 28, 2018 - 3:05 pm

Scotty

I decided to stop listening to Lynda Steele about a month ago……………..couldn’t do it any more on the drive home. Whoever told her she was a talk show host should be the one getting let go!!

March 28, 2018 - 5:59 pm

Brad

Hopefully the next to go from CKNW is Sera and Gord McDaonald then McComb (not necessarily in that order)

March 28, 2018 - 6:49 pm

Just sayin’

The bean counters are still figuring out the News/Talk format is very expensive with diminishing returns and share prices in the tank, this is the time to amalgamate NW into Global, move the radio newsroom to tv, and slowly minimize the radio share of the operation. Radio always plays 2nd in combined operations. As for long-term people like McDonald, he should wait it out until they offer him a package. Same thing for McComb, depending on his contract. For every one else, start prepping for a career change and until the shoe drops, SAVE money and do not believe any manager who tells you the worst is over. Not even close.

March 28, 2018 - 8:54 pm

Alex

Sorry to hear of more layoffs at NW, people effected deserve better , but what do expect from Corus. Hope the 3 resurface locally.

March 28, 2018 - 9:00 pm

Paul smith

Brad & Just Saying…agree.
After almost everyone has gone, what then @ ‘NW/Global/Corus??

March 28, 2018 - 9:07 pm

News watcher

Disagree with Scotty on Lynda Steele. A solid performer. Good interviewing style. The show has good programming and a wide range of guests. She has really come into her own now that Drex has moved to overnight.

March 28, 2018 - 10:09 pm

Sean in Vancouver

Whatever happened to the money that Shaw/Corus saved by closing down Shaw TV Vancouver? Thought that money was supposed to go back into local news operation?

March 29, 2018 - 4:25 am

Bagoverheadguy

Sean…perhaps they are putting it back into radio in the form of severance payments…

March 29, 2018 - 12:53 pm

Rupert

The henchmen at Corus are primarily human resource people that have no warmth, nor do they care about anybody or how these layoffs may affect their lives. Most have never worked in radio or TV and merely move people out as shares plummet. The PD in this case is from California and clearly has no concept of the local Canadian market. If he refuses to man up and says these decisions are been made in Toronto….well we all know how that goes.

March 30, 2018 - 1:09 pm

I have to agree with those that support Lynda Steele. She is center left and I kinda like the gravel voice. At NW youve got to take what tiny amount of conservative thinking the left wingnut PD will allow.

March 30, 2018 - 3:15 pm

radioguy

To the people wishing certain people would lose their jobs, there’s probably people who wish you would lose your job as well. #karma

March 30, 2018 - 5:50 pm

@radioguy
I hope Ive never proclaimed that someone get caned , but in hindsight I might have. So besides being a coach at the pro level is there another job less secure than radio? Does BCIT broadcast courses prepare students for the eventual getting fired.

April 2, 2018 - 3:42 pm

longtimeformerlistener

Chorus cutting to the bone as the bean counters and blue suits squeeze blood out of a stone. Tim seemed to work his derriere off for the station and Jeremy was a solid professional with a great radio voice. Sad to see the once great C.K.N.W. reduced to this level. With the exception of Michael Campbell and Bruce Allen the station has become unlistenable.

April 2, 2018 - 4:08 pm

Bagoverheadguy

@longtime….totally agree with Campbell/Allen…add Bennett/Smythe/Palmer/Green to the mix.
CKNW dumped Lions/Canucks yrs ago….cost cutting move. Then dumped all sports…stupidstupidstupid.
Put Squire & His team on for 30 mins/day…don’t most of us talk sports @ the water cooler?

April 2, 2018 - 4:47 pm

BMCQ

I do not like to see anyone out of work but TIM was ill informed and out of touch.
He thought he could get by bu yucking it up with McComb and Niki without really being aware of anything but being Trump. That works great on CNN but he had no substance and he became very annoying with his one Trick Pony.

Criticize any Politician you choose but to criticize any Politician just because you thinks it pleases your PD works only so long. TIM was easier to get rid of than Niki for two reasons, she is female and she gets more voice work.

He may have put in fairly long hours but much like PM Justin Tim is no substance and an Empty Suit.

April 3, 2018 - 3:52 pm

Scotty

Agree with BMCQ……………..Tim Dickert’s alliances aside, he was unable to get through any segment without stuttering and flip flopping back and forth, most of what he was trying to say came out as incoherent babble…………..I’m amazed he lasted this long with an on-air gig, it’s kinda a prerequisite that you can talk coherently if you choose a talk radio career.

April 8, 2018 - 10:28 pm

Adam

I will never understand why that wind-bag Bruce Allen is still at CKNW. I always have to turn the radio off when I hear his voice. I really don’t need the opinions of some over-privallaged rich guy every morning. I’m sure his feet rarely touch the ground and most of his experiences are behind glass these days. Somebody please tell him to get off his luxury rear end and onto an actual bicycle. Then give us a real report about how terrible the bike paths are.

April 9, 2018 - 10:04 am

Just sayin’

Ditto Adam. Allen lost me long ago with his rich-guy rants about the underprivileged and less fortunate on the DTEastside. His obvious ignorance of the issues and obvious lack of a moral compass will attract only those with the same level of ignorance.

April 9, 2018 - 7:48 pm

Adam & just sayin. I can attest that I am not a rich guy. Im not even a delusional wanna be rich guy and yet I totally disagree with the two of you. Mr Allens rants and raves are for the most part common sense. My guess is that you two both think Gregor Robertson is a very good mayor.
Very many of my friends and acquaintances think Bruce Allen is right bang on. Some of us even ride bicycles without training wheels and without the aid of a concrete bobsled chute to protect us from hurting ourselves

April 9, 2018 - 9:04 pm

BMCQ

Adam

Just

13 is correct much of what /Bruce is simply common sense and I guarantee you that Most Listeners agree with Allen Most of the time.

Don’t know much about Bruce other than to say he did not start out Wealthy, he worked hard to be successful, be are fairly wealthy and he deserves a return for that Hard Work. Doesn’t everyone deserve a reward for effort and investment? in fact Allen had a lot to do with the enrichment of your fellow Canadians that became successful Entertainers.

I can guarantee you that by far the vast majority of his Acts are very thankful that Bruce is the kind of individual he is.

I find I agree with Allen at least about 80% of the time and in my opinion he is more or less the only reason Poverty Pimp Mayor Gregor and His Visionite Minions have been held to Account.

Take a Big Bow Bruce YOU deserve much of the Credit for the Retirement of Mayor Mumbles!

Now all we require is someone to run for Mayor that will promise to “Undo” much of the Damage inflicted on the Citizens and City of Vancouver this November.

BTW – that Candidate can start by Announcing that we will keep a Satellite of St. Paul’s Hospital Emergency Ward and Ambulance Base in the current newerParkade Building while at the same time guarantee both Viducts remain in place.

The Viaducts efficiently move Traffic in and out of the ?West End/Downtown and they are the best way to transport Sick People to the upcoming new St. Paul’s On Main St.

Then that Mayorality Candidate can announce the Art Gallery will NOT be re located, Bruce was wrong on that one. I have the solution for that but will not bore you here and now.

Bruce Allen is the Conscience of Vancouver and we should thank him for his service.

April 10, 2018 - 9:01 pm

Just sayin’

13 and BMCQ: so you agree with Mr. Allen’s description of the less fortunate as ‘bums’ and ‘low lifes’. Good luck with that. Bullies come in all shapes, sizes and status.

May 11, 2018 - 8:59 am

Big 77

I really enjoyed Nick but especially Chuck’s shows on Y108. I know how much Nick enjoyed his job too which is even worse. All the best to the both of them and everyone else involved.

May 13, 2018 - 7:31 am

just, Mr Allen has called many of the “less fortunate” all sorts of names. His office is in the middle of that cesspool. When is the last time you took a walk down Hastings from Gore to Abbot St. The “less fortunate” are there because the poverty industry needs them to validate the endless drain on tax payers resources. Imagine if the resouces were redirected to help out retired seniors that live on meager pensions and manage to get by without breaking into cars, without panhandling, without welfare, without a safe injection site, without turning the sidewalk into a third world shit show.
Yes I agree completely with Mr Allens assessment.