The Velvelettes have today’s almost forgotten track
For all the superstar acts that Motown produced who had dozens of hits between them, there was also a second line of acts that created one or two hits that nobody seems to remember…some of them, like Barrett Strong and The Marvellettes, were among the earliest acts signed to the label, while others, like The Contours and The Monitors became feeder acts for the bigger names when replacements were needed…among those second line acts, one that I always remember fondly would be The Velvelettes who scored a couple on their own including this classic…Betty Kelly, from this group, was promoted to full membership in the Vandellas, which probably effectively ended this trio, and it’s safe to say, finding replacements by raiding their own roster was not like looking for a needle in a haystack…
Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then.
His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992,Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Vancouver Radio PPMs Nov. 27th – Feb. 25th
- Global News lays off 70 staff across country, 21 in…
- Edmonton Radio PPMs Nov. 27th – Feb. 25th
- Calgary Radio Host Accuses Hedley’s Hoggard of Sexual…
- CKNW Adds Global News Morning Simulcast at 5 am
- iHeartMedia Files for Bankruptcy
- Calgary Radio PPM’s .. Nov. 27- Feb. 25th
- David Bray’s PPM Analysis for VANCOUVER .. March 2018
- Coast to Coast GONE from CKNW (Update)
- Kelowna’s NEW Beach Radio, has a morning show!