The Velvelettes have today’s almost forgotten track
For all the superstar acts that Motown produced who had dozens of hits between them, there was also a second line of acts that created one or two hits that nobody seems to remember…some of them, like Barrett Strong and The Marvellettes, were among the earliest acts signed to the label, while others, like The Contours and The Monitors became feeder acts for the bigger names when replacements were needed…among those second line acts, one that I always remember fondly would be The Velvelettes who scored a couple on their own including this classic…Betty Kelly, from this group, was promoted to full membership in the Vandellas, which probably effectively ended this trio, and it’s safe to say, finding replacements by raiding their own roster was not like looking for a needle in a haystack…
Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then.
His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992,Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Vancouver PPM Radio Ratings .. Feb. 26- May 27 2018
- Longtime News 1130’ers Reaon Ford, Ann Schmaltz GONE
- Victoria Times Colonist to Abandon its own Printing…
- The End of a dream… It’s Really Over!…
- Wesla Wong moves from Global Kelowna to the Star
- Shaw Reportedly Shopping its Stake in Corus
- Never Trust The CBC, by Candace Malcolm
- Edmonton PPM Radio Ratings.. Feb 26 – May 27, 2018
- Mike and Helena out at Kiss 91.7
- Iconic Broadcaster/Canucks PA Voice John Ashbridge…