Savoy Brown has today’s almost forgotten track

Kim Simmonds has been on the road under the Savoy Brown trademark for fifty years but only occasionally has his band lineup remained constant in that time…to many of us the best lineup he led would have to be this one with Chris Youlden as frontman, backed by three guys who, like Chris, would soon leave the band to make it on their own…Chris went on to a sadly uncelebrated career as a solo act, while Tone Stevens, Lonesome Dave Peverett and drummer Roger Earl formed a band that would have a long career on their own called Foghat…for those who would go to dance halls in the 60s and early 70s for their rock and roll fix, I hope this track brings back many memories…

Greg Simpson

Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then.

His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992,Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.

Email Greg: [email protected]
Greg’s Website: http://www.mindbenders.ca
Visit his Facebook Profile Page: HERE

Published on January 8, 2018 at 9:05 pm by Greg Simpson

Comments

January 9, 2018 - 1:32 am

Rocker Rich

Kim Simmonds should have drawn make-work subsidies from grateful governments for gainfully employing so many musicians over almost half a century. Take a Wikipedia peek: 64 formal members (including future prog-jazz percussionist Bill Bruford) plus 17 guests (including blues venerables Hubert Sumlin and Duke Robillard.

Too bad they were stuck on Parrot Records in North America. The Decca affiliate had no problem breaking Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck onto these shores. But Parrot execs always seemed befuddled when reckoning with a Savoy Brown or, very briefly, Chilliwack. To its credit, Parrot acceded to their few rock acts’ cover-art demands. My favourite Savoy Brown disc covers were Hellbound Train and Lookin’ In (the latter boasting a Tales From The Crypt vibe).

I’m tired…gotta bed down.

January 9, 2018 - 3:03 pm

BMCQ

GreatTune, Great Voice!

Always liked that Tune and honestly I have not heard it in a long time.

I had a SB Album when I was very young and unfortunately gave it and a few hundred others away. Still do not know why I did that but others I know did the same thing.

A moment of Madness.

Interestingly enough I did some checking online and none of the Albums Covers displayed resemble the one I had.

I am in the Office by myself very early each day and on Fridays I usually set aside a little time to You Tube some good old Tunes and Performances,

SB will be on that list this Friday.

January 9, 2018 - 8:43 pm

Street Corner Talking my favorite SB album. 1971 was an awesome year for music

January 10, 2018 - 7:16 am

Greg Simpson

Thasks guys, and, I might add, to Rich, Parrot was just a label, not a company, as such. London just used it as an imprint, and their success with Tom Jones came a few years earlier. The real truth, despite excellent records throughout, was in marketing a band that, by your count, had 64 different members…most versions of the band didn’t last beyond two albums.

January 11, 2018 - 11:25 am

Rocker Rich

I did mention Parrot was linked with Decca UK (as was sister North American imprint London). And Parrot did manage to break cover-version rockers Frijid Pink. Still think Parrot sucked when it came to marketing original-material rock acts.

Personnel changes with Savoy Brown were brisk from its 1965 inception. Still, the sextet edition that recorded I’m Tired had been stable for over a year (no mean achievement with SB) and included Simmons, Lonesome Dave Peverett and singer Youlden.

Playing “what if?” can be maddening. But success often begets stability. Perhaps the Brown lineup would have firmed for at least awhile had Parrot done a better job of promoting I’m Tired. It only reached a ‘meh’ No. 74 on Billboard in an indifferent five week run. Pretty much the same outcome Parrot achieved three years earlier when re-releasing Them’s classic Gloria. (The original 1965 release did even worse (#93).