Ray Davies of KINKS has today’s almost forgotten track
Any list I compiled of my ten favourite bands of all time would include The Kinks, and though most of my friends will cite Village Green as their best album, for me it’s only their second best, as I relate more strongly to Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) from which this song comes…this was a top ten hit at the very first station at which I was MD, as was another track from the same source (Victoria)…perhaps my affinity for the disc comes from my own family’s history and how I related that to how I came to become Canadian…if I had a grandfather who had chosen a different part of the Empire to emigrate to, like Australia which Arthur chose, I wonder if I’d have been as happy and successful (in my own mind) if I’d come from there…
Greg Simpson firmly believes his career in the music industry officially began on March 14, 1965 when a band gave him ten dollars as commission for helping them find a gig. He hasn’t looked back since then and looks forward to celebrating his fiftieth in 2015 with an enormous party paid for by the hundreds of dollars he’s made since then.
His career has covered all aspects from radio for many years, and including working for record labels, artists and, since 1992, Canadian Music Week where he programs the radio stream and manages all conference streams and events in real time annually. He also attends half a dozen conferences a year doing research for CMW and is generally accepted as a knowledgeable cat with a few stories to tell. At the root of it all, though, is his undying love for music and musicians.
Greg Simpson is the author of ‘Today’s Almost Forgotten Track’
Search Puget Sound Radio
Popular Articles This Month
- Vancouver Radio PPMs Nov. 27th – Feb. 25th
- Global News lays off 70 staff across country, 21 in…
- Update: Where is Steve Darling going?
- Edmonton Radio PPMs Nov. 27th – Feb. 25th
- Calgary Radio Host Accuses Hedley’s Hoggard of Sexual…
- CKNW Adds Global News Morning Simulcast at 5 am
- CKNW News Department Moving to the Global TV Studios in…
- iHeartMedia Files for Bankruptcy
- Calgary Radio PPM’s .. Nov. 27- Feb. 25th
- David Bray’s PPM Analysis for VANCOUVER .. March 2018