Rogers to purchase AM650 and create Sportsnet radio

Rogers Media  has purchased radio station 650 CISL with the intent to launch an all-sports radio station. The deal is expected to close by the end of summer. Sportsnet 650 will carry all Canucks games starting next season as well as all Toronto Blue Jays games.

Newcap Press Release:

DARTMOUTH, N.S. – April 25, 2017 – Newfoundland Capital Corporation (“Newcap” or the “Company”) (TSX: NCC.A, NCC.B) announced today that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Newcap Inc., has entered into an agreement to sell its Vancouver AM station, CISL, to Rogers Media Inc. (a division of Rogers Communications Inc.). Subject to approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (“CRTC”), Rogers will acquire the wholly owned subsidiary of Newcap Inc. that owns and operates CISL. Rogers has submitted its application to the CRTC requesting approval for the change in ownership of this station.

“We are grateful for the contributions of CISL and its employees during their time as part of the Newcap family,” noted Rob Steele, President and Chief Executive Officer. “While we generally are acquirers, not sellers, we believe that this transaction is in the best interest of our shareholders. We remain committed to the Vancouver community through our two remaining FM stations, Z95.3 and LG 104.3.”

About Newfoundland Capital Corporation Limited

Newfoundland Capital Corporation Limited (TSX: NCC.A, NCC.B) owns and operates Newcap Radio which is one of Canada’s leading radio broadcasters with 95 licences across Canada. The Company reaches millions of listeners each week through a variety of formats and is a recognized industry leader in radio programming, sales and networking.

This press release contains forward looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations. The use of terminology such as “expect”, “intend”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “may”, “will”, “should”, “would”, “plan” and other similar terminology relate to, but are not limited to, our objectives, goals, plans, strategies, intentions, outlook and estimates. By their very nature, these statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the Company’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in such forward-looking statements. As a result, there is no guarantee that any forward-looking statements will materialize and readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these statements. Unless otherwise required by applicable securities laws, the Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

For further information:

REF: Robert G. Steele, President and Chief Executive Officer, Scott G.M. Weatherby, Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary, Newfoundland Capital Corporation Limited, 8 Basinview Drive, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B3B 1G4, Tel: (902) 468-7557, Fax: (902) 468-7558, e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.ncc.ca;

Rogers Press Release:

Sportsnet Launches All-Sports Radio Station in Vancouver, This Fall

Rogers Media acquires Vancouver AM station CISL from Newcap

VANCOUVER (April 25, 2017) One of Canada’s largest and most passionate sports markets is about to get a lot more premium sports content, as Sportsnet will launch a new, all-sports radio station – Sportsnet 650 – in Vancouver this fall.

Rogers Media will acquire the Vancouver AM station CISL from Newcap Inc. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Newfoundland Capital Corporation Limited), subject to approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), and will change the station’s format to all-sports.  The transaction is expected to close in summer 2017.

“We are excited to build upon our strong radio brands in the Vancouver market.  With Vancouver being such a passionate sports town, there is a strong appetite for all-sports radio that delivers engaging conversation, wide-ranging opinion, and top-tier live sports content,” said Julie Adam, Senior Vice President of Radio, Rogers Media.

Sportsnet 650 will have year-round top-tier sports content, including Vancouver Canucks and Blue Jays games, plus the MLB post-season.  Additional programming details and on-air personalities will be announced in the coming months.

“Vancouver has an incredibly loyal fan base, and this is a natural fit to expand our Sportsnet offering,” said Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet, Rogers Media.  “Sportsnet has been strongly committed to the Vancouver community since the network’s inception in 1998 when we first began televising Canucks games.”

Sportsnet 650 marks the third all-sports radio station for Sportsnet, alongside stations Sportsnet 590 The FAN in Toronto and Sportsnet 960 The FAN in Calgary.

Said Al Dark, Senior Vice President of Sales, Rogers Media: “Sportsnet is Canada’s number one sports brand, and we are thrilled we have another platform for our advertisers to reach their target audiences.”

The AM 650 station will continue to be broadcast in its current format until Sportsnet 650 radio launches in the fall.

About Sportsnet
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports media brand, connecting Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes.  Delivering storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level, the multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet NOW, and the Sportsnet app.  Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World.  Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multimedia rights holder, and is also the official regional television broadcast rights holder for the Calgary Flames (including radio rights on Sportsnet 960 The FAN), Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs (including radio rights on Sportsnet 590 The FAN), Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens. Sportsnet also has exclusive TV & radio coverage of all 162 Blue Jays games, as well as other MLB games, Toronto Raptors, NBA, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, and extensive soccer programming including Premier League, Bundesliga, FA Cup and 2018 FIFA World Cup European Qualifiers.

Published on April 25, 2017 at 11:47 am by Brian Cook

Comments

April 25, 2017 - 11:49 am

news watcher

Let’s hope that the signal improves.

April 25, 2017 - 12:06 pm

Matthew Lausmann

CISL Is Heading For Format Change This Fall And Which Means Onair Staff Could Be Let Go

April 25, 2017 - 1:51 pm

Terry Bell

Another local (music) station bites the dust. How many sports stations are required in Metro Vancouver? It would be interesting to hear what Red thinks of the impending changes.

April 25, 2017 - 2:48 pm

Donovan

Sad to see the end of an era in Vancouver radio. Although considering the market already has two sports stations, could the CRTC veto this move?

April 25, 2017 - 3:25 pm

Ron Robinson

Music is never going to be a good fit on AM anymore, as long as FM maintains a superior technological advantage .. and as long as there are talk or sports formats available.
The two existing sports signals are controlled by Bell .. and Rogers holds the future radio rights to the Canucks. They also want their Blue Jays broadcasts to have a more consistent exposure on the West Coast.

TSN, the TV brand, has done okay without hockey .. Now let’s see how TSN Radio 1040 does without the Canucks.

And here’s one Seattle Mariner fan who’s hoping to see more a predictable playbyplay sked on AM 1410.

Speaking of Seattle, there are at least FIVE sports AM stations from Everett to Tacoma.

April 25, 2017 - 4:33 pm

GERRY O’DAY

Maybe the last week of of CISL should go out rocking – Bring back the former DJ’s for the customers that tuned in. Just saying.

April 25, 2017 - 4:35 pm

Mark

With the Canucks gone not sure why Bell needs 1410 anymore. Days are probably numbered.

April 25, 2017 - 5:19 pm

Alan

The play-by-play guys are great, but please, Rogers, don’t hire anybody else connected with the Canucks broadcasts on 1040! Start fresh!

April 25, 2017 - 6:29 pm

Frank Bucholtz

I hope Red Robinson’s Diner gets picked up by another station. I think it is so valuable to have a place on the dial where someone so important to the success of the radio business in the Vancouver market can still be heard. How about 104.3?

April 25, 2017 - 7:25 pm

Mark

RIP CISL 650, thanks for all the memories 🙂

April 25, 2017 - 7:48 pm

Rocker Rich

Here’s hoping that Red Rock Diner finds a new home somewhere on the FM band. I feel bad for the full timers like Tom at CISL. Over here in Victoria, I always picked the signal up better in the car than at home.

April 27, 2017 - 12:12 pm

Steve

I really want to hear Red’s Diner on 104.3. PLEASE!

April 30, 2017 - 10:00 pm

notapennypinchingcon

Rogers on 650 CISL would do well to think outside of the box, when it comes to sports radio. How about an MMA or martial arts talk show, given Vancouver’s legendary martial arts and UFC-mma scene, for the last 20 years. The main reason that sports radio fails is that the head office does the “same old, same old” crap, year after year. (hockey, hockey, hockey, etc.). How about a junior lacrosse show or junior baseball show. How about a female sports talk show host for a change ? The worst that they could do is regurgitate ESPN shows like Patrick and Rome and any syndicated shows from the USA.

April 30, 2017 - 10:43 pm

Ron Reinhold – Rockin Ronnie

I can’t believe we are seeing the end of CISL as we knew it. They were so unique!’

Who needs another sports station. How boring!

May 11, 2017 - 10:19 am

Romeo Delfinto

The other sports station will be gone by Christmas once sportsnet 650 is on the air. Good riddance. Their morning drive show was hours of nails on a blackboard. With a little luck someone will move the 650 CISL format to the 1040 radio space which will be available soon.

Strong rumours, say some of their talk show guys are already doing deals to go to the new station. Especially the ones who used to work for Sportsnet (DT), Writers from the Sun and Province who no longer have jobs because of the shrinking newspaper market are also looking to Sportsnet 650 for employment. (they’ll be great with their “real” sports knowledge. The “Jake and the Prattman ” show (does anyone under 65 get that reference anymore except William Conrad) will be put out to pasture at their Tsawwassen Springs retirement home. They’ve been fired more times than “Mike Keenan” (They won’t get that reference either because it’s sports too.

Perhaps Sportsnet 650 could move their start date up and save all of us some suffering!

May 15, 2017 - 1:00 pm

Steve

Please oh please pipe in Prime Time Sports from Toronto, so west coasters can hear how bush league their sports talk has been all these years.

May 16, 2017 - 11:35 pm

Mark

Hopefully, Rogers will have share syndication from their other Canadian stations. I am tired of hearing US syndication on TSN. I cant believe they don’t realize how bad it sounds and how irrelevant it is to most Canadian sports fans.

May 17, 2017 - 11:11 am

Big Bopper

Maybe TSN 1410 well turn into a all news format to go up against CKWX News 1130

May 17, 2017 - 10:42 pm

Q J

To hear Little Richard blasting out of a 60’s or earlier AM home or car radio is incredible. The Beach Boys used to listen to all their early work on AM radios before finishing the recordings. The mix was so important.
Vancouver needs more irrelevant sports radio like it needs higher home prices. And i like sports! And sports radio. But you can get all that via Internet and pod casts etc. you can’t duplicate the music sound.
What about the Tsunami of the aged? They are not too good at tech, but sure know how to turn on a radio and punch 650…..

June 4, 2017 - 7:33 pm

Richard Nofield

This is sad to see CISL 650 end in August. The station has great staff on the air. Does this mean 1410 will play oldies on AM. Bring Back CFUN on 1410 will oldies Good Luck to all the on Air Staff at CISL 650

June 18, 2017 - 1:34 pm

Lenora Wailele Waddington Nicholson

I’ll be heartbroken if I can’t listen to Red on Sunday’s. He’s the ‘Last DeeJay’ and now the last oldie
station gone…crying shame! Another sports station????like Really???

June 22, 2017 - 6:39 pm

Roslyn

Heard about this on Red’s show last Sunday.
My husband proposed to me on Don Percy’s show in Mar’89! Love 60’s music with a passion! Goodbye 650 CISL😥

July 4, 2017 - 8:02 pm

Richard Nofield

Rogers has so many station and we already have lots of sports stations in Vancouver why another one/ CISL 650 is a great station and I love the music. I wish the station could just stay as it is with no change/ The staff are great and the shows are great/and now it will come to a stop when Hockey Starts up this fall/What a sad day for Vancouver/ We will miss CISL 650

July 30, 2017 - 11:47 am

rod chan

Very sad to hear that the smooth and easy music on A M 650 will be switched off on september. It is the only station left for soothing all day music listening enjoyment . I hope you will change your mind.

August 2, 2017 - 7:09 am

ken dunbar

CISL 650 is the only station I listen to for my era of music. Over the years it has kept me in touch with all the music I grew up with. What am I going to listen to now beside sport,sport,sport – boring !!!!!!! A lot of the old songs are going to be forgotten if we don’t have a station like this.
So sad and ticked off. We are going to miss you

August 9, 2017 - 1:31 pm

Lisa Hudson

This is really sad/ CISL is great and this is the only station I love for my oldies. The announcers are also good on CISL. I hope the station will put them over on LG 1043 and play more oldies.If not I will not be listening to LG again. There is not enough oldies on that station. Programming needs to improve on LG as they play to many repeats during the week. There station says they play the best of the 60s 70s and 80s. This is not so as there is not enough 70s or 60s The announcers needs to be changed in the afternoon show as well

August 9, 2017 - 11:07 pm

Patrick

I agree if they think the 50’s 60’s music played on CISL is a dinasaur Rogers is sadly mistaken. There is a great audience young and old out there for this timeless music (oldies?). I’ll miss my Fab Four at Four and other great tunes like the Stones, Who, Neil Young etc who are still selling out mega stadiums world wide. So Rogers is in tune with it’s customers switching to generic sports (zero cost) radio programming? NOT I think they need to get back to REALity and keep the pop classics of yesteryear on the radio forever more for new audiences to enjoy and learn important values from like LOVE your neighbour…More Sports radio neh!!..comments?

August 15, 2017 - 12:33 pm

Oldies-loving Millennial

Oh no! I hate to see this station ditch the oldies format, I love this music. LG 104.3 is good for 80s rock, but 650 has much more variety: early rock and roll, classic pop, doo wop, motown, rockabilly… So sad to see good radio go bad:(

August 23, 2017 - 12:54 am

Darcia Steeves

This is Terrible ! I just heard abut this today. I listen to it every day…love the music….love Red Robinson! Has anybody got a petition going about this! The music will do your heart and soul a lot more good than the upset and dumbing down you’lo get from sports!

August 24, 2017 - 10:28 am

Danny D

they should hire Red, Tom, And Holywood Stu, at 104.3 , they don’t play enough 60;s music, 104 could double the listeners by playing more like 650 music, just Saying

August 24, 2017 - 5:51 pm

Sharron

I am pissed. I will not listen to any sports crap. This was one of the last great oldies stations. People should boycott the “new” station if they are not happy with the change. We gave totally enough sports stuff to listen to and watch on TV.

August 25, 2017 - 11:51 am

Jean

The dial on my radio has been permanently set to AM650 since the day CISL was born. Childhood memories of the government trying to shut down Radio Caroline and other pirate radio stations when I was across the pond come flooding back. Different circumstances, but still sad nonetheless. A bit like losing a friend.

August 25, 2017 - 1:54 pm

Douglas Louth

It’s a very sad day when we lose CISL. I have been listening to the station since it’s inception. Another sports station is not what we need. All the music from the 50 and 60 which we grew up with will be gone for a sports station. No music for. the older generation to listen to anymore. Too bad…….

August 25, 2017 - 3:36 pm

Linda

Heartbroken to be losing CISL650 as we know it. I love everything about this station and will miss it terribly. Here’s to everyone at the station who made it so successful and such a joy to listen to.

August 25, 2017 - 8:28 pm

Donna

RIP CISL 650, I don’t know what I will be listening to now. This is the only station I listen to on the radio

August 26, 2017 - 10:34 am

John Coughlin

I am so sad and angry over this change .
Oldies is my favorite radio channel .
Nobdy plays their lineup .
We don’t need another spiders channel we need our favorite oldies .
This is very very disturbing to me .
Where am I gonna here my oldies .
And don’t 104 fm because they don’t play the real oldies .
I am not a happy man .

August 26, 2017 - 4:20 pm

Mark

I called Rogers and told them that because they have killed my favorite station I will not renew my cell phone contract with them.

Very sad to see CISL 650 go…. the mix of music was special…. LG1043? Nope…same limited songs over and over again….

August 26, 2017 - 9:32 pm

Tina

Sad to hear that CISL 650 is switching to all sports station. I loved listening to the relaxing music. Hope you come back hopefully to another radio station. My goodness there’s enough radio sports stations, another one does not need to be added, especially when Canucks and Blue Jays are being covered. Who cares about them.

August 26, 2017 - 9:59 pm

Sandi

I hate this, get your own station. I have listened to this station since I was a teen! Shame on you people for letting this happen, and the buyers too. You loose consumer confidence in all your areas of business, right? Ya

August 26, 2017 - 10:06 pm

Morten

Rogers is getting to big for their britches. Their snowballing out of any reasonable proportion. Taking cisl from us and giving it to the jocks is the last straw.

August 27, 2017 - 3:30 am

Niesje

I will truly miss listening to the music that Cisl has given it’s listeners, there is no other station in Vancouver that offers “smooth and easy ” format!! My Sunday’s will definitely be missing The Red Rock Diner. As soon as the new format begins, 650 will be deleted from my radio choices-will not be listening to the boring , and dull one person opinion about sports!!

August 29, 2017 - 9:05 pm

Chris

I’m choked. The only good music on am or fm is gone for a third all sports radio channel. I love sports but the last thing we need is to hear more bla bla bla about the crappy canucks. Gets so boring. American sports shows and even the Canadian ones from back east are way better. Damn it was the only music I could wake up to. I won’t be listening to 650 anymore. Bring back all those old tunes no one else has the ballls to play on all the other crap stations. 50’s 60’s 70’s 80’s for ever.

August 30, 2017 - 9:57 am

Tony

Not happy about losing 650
Will not buy any rogers products or anyone who advertised with them
We don’t need more sports station

September 2, 2017 - 1:16 am

Shelley

I was so mad when I heard we’re losing CISL 650. Boomers are left out in the cold once again. The 60’s rocked and we had the best music of all time. I want to listen to it forever so will depend on my CD collection of all the oldies I can get my hands on. The only station better than 650 is KIXI 880 out of the Seattle area but reception is not great here and you can’t livestream from Canada!! I was so mad when I found that out, especially since 650 is gone!! The end of an era and a sad day for us boomer oldie fans.

September 6, 2017 - 9:16 pm

Mitch

More boring monotone nasal sports only radio station for Vancouver.Why is Rogers so obsessed with sports? Thanks for killing a really nice radio station (650 cisl) . Why doesn’t Rogers invest it a proper 6 pm TV newscast? Wimps!

September 7, 2017 - 4:54 pm

Sharie

I am really disappointed that CISL 650 is gone – it was the best radio station. You can understand my shock when I turned on the radio at work and heard men’s voices drone on about sports. You will lose a lot of listeners, myself included. Really, really disappointed.

September 14, 2017 - 3:17 pm

Wendy

I always listened to CISL 650. Loved the music. But now all day all sports – NO WAY (and I love sports). I have removed CISL from my car, home and work. Now listening to FM104.3

September 21, 2017 - 1:20 am

Laurie

Thank you cisl for the good music and memories. I was your biggest fan. With the new format chane, you just lost a listener.