Print Topic - Archive

Puget Sound Radio  /  General Radio News  /  Sponsors Cancel,so Rush Apologizes for 'Slut' Slur
Posted by: mikedup, March 4, 2012, 4:40pm
Limbaugh Apologizes for Attack
on Student in Birth Control Furor

By BRIAN STELTER
Media Reporter, New York Times
blogging at The Caucus.blogs.nytimes.com

March 3 2012

In an about-face, the conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Saturday that he was sorry for denouncing as a “prostitute” a Georgetown University law student who had spoken publicly in favor of the Obama administration’s birth control policy.

On Saturday, a day after President Obama telephoned the student, Sandra Fluke, to say he stood by her in the face of personal attacks on right-wing radio, Mr. Limbaugh published the apology on his Web site.

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke,” Mr. Limbaugh wrote. He then reiterated his opposition to the Obama administration policy, which requires health insurance plans to cover contraceptives for women.

On the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday editions of his talk show, Mr. Limbaugh attacked Ms. Fluke as sexually promiscuous and politically motivated — “an anti-Catholic plant,” he said at one point.

On Wednesday, he called her a “slut” who “wants to be paid to have sex”; on Thursday, he said she was “having so much sex, it’s amazing she can still walk”; and on Friday, after Senate Democrats beat back a Republican challenge to the new policy, he said Ms. Fluke had testified that she was “having sex so frequently that she can’t afford all the birth-control pills that she needs.”

In television interviews, Ms. Fluke said she was stunned and outraged by Mr. Limbaugh’s comments.

In his call on Friday, Mr. Obama thanked Ms. Fluke for publicly backing his regulations mandating contraception coverage.

Mr. Limbaugh’s comments added fuel to a rancorous dispute on Capitol Hill over whether employers should have to provide insurance coverage for contraception. Democrats have said Republican opposition to such coverage amounts to a “war on women.”

Some Republicans also criticized Mr. Limbaugh, including the House speaker, John A. Boehner, who called his comments “inappropriate.”

As the issue gained national attention, liberal activists and other longtime critics of Mr. Limbaugh started to contact his advertisers and ask them to withdraw their ads from his show. By Saturday, six advertisers, including Quicken Loans, said they had done so.

Mr. Limbaugh did not directly address the advertiser pressure in his statement Saturday, but he said, “My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”

After the statement was published online on Saturday, the company that distributes “The Rush Limbaugh Show,” Premiere Radio Networks, also sent it to reporters in an e-mail. Premiere, a unit of Clear Channel, declined to comment.

It was immediately dismissed as a nonapology by some of the groups that have mobilized against Mr. Limbaugh. “I think this attempt at damage control labeled as an apology actually makes things worse,” stated a Twitter account called “Stop Rush,” which wants people to pressure to companies to stop advertising on “The Rush Limbaugh Show.”

The account then added, “You know what Rush’s so-called apology means? Your efforts at delivering real accountability are working! Keep at it! Onward!”

THE REST OF THE STORY CAN BE READ HERE!

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/rush-limbaugh-apologizes-for-verbal-attack/
Posted by: Camera1, March 4, 2012, 5:27pm; Reply: 1
That's the problem with ideologues who always put politics before humanity and common decency. They spend all their lives boasting "I'm more right-wing" than you, so you must be a Liberal" type of chatter.  Who effin cares! Get a life!
Posted by: Rocker Rich, March 5, 2012, 2:25am; Reply: 2
It almost goes without saying that Rush has long been a misogynist.

But who'd have thunk that, at least on matters sexual, he's also a moron. Lost in the ruckus over his tasteless and likely defamatory rants against Ms. Fluke is analysis of his inference that women with more than one sexual partner need to take more birth control pills than those in monogamous relationships. Just wait until comics such as Stewart and Colbert figure out that Limbaugh absurdity.

Let the lampooning begin.
Posted by: 3367 (Guest), March 5, 2012, 3:57am; Reply: 3
...and so when Bill Maher calls Sarh Palin a c--t he's ok? I wonder how many sponsors he lost---oh wait, it's on HBO so I guess that's okay. How about "talk slut"? That was Lefty Ed Schultz commenting on Laura Ingram. I'm not defending Limbaugh on this one. A totally brainless remark and he should lose sponsor support but let's keep the field level guys. Oh yeah, just about forgot, ...guess what late-night host described Palin as a "slutty-looking flight attendant"? Yep...and his studio audience just howled.
Posted by: bobinedmonton, March 5, 2012, 3:25pm; Reply: 4
I can't see Limbaugh's audience complaining about his remark, so I wonder who these self-appointed morality police actually represent?

Shame on the advertisers for running from "controversy".

A smart advertiser would have stayed the course and reaped the rewards of increased business.

And Mr. Limbaugh should get a thesaurus, as there are many non-slang words that he could have used to convey the exact same message, but nobody would have complained as it would have been humorous, even given Mr. Limbaugh's lack of a sense of humour.  

Mind you, by using a more acceptable word, Mr. Limbaugh would not have achieved the publicity that this particular little word has created, but as the number one talk show host in the USA, does he really need the publicity?  Or is the far more controversial Mr. Savage nipping at his heels so Mr. Limbaugh feels that he has to create a harder, edgier persona to compete?

And I remind everybody that people that weren't listening would have never have heard of this "controversy" had the usual media watchdogs/ censorship police just kept quiet.   Now it's front page headlines all over the Internet.    I'll bet Mr. Limbaugh's audience numbers will INCREASE after this "controversy".

I smell a publicity stunt.
Posted by: bobinedmonton, March 7, 2012, 2:54pm; Reply: 5
As an update:   an advertiser that withdrew his advertising from Mr. Limbaugh's show has seen the value of his stock shares PLUMMET.

The advertiser withdrew his advertising because he objected to the gutter style language and decided that he would take the high road.  Good for him!   Bankruptcy is always a good alternative to prosperity!
Print page generated: August 30, 2014, 8:13pm