Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    General Radio News  ›  “Trust … But Verify”

“Trust … But Verify”  This thread currently has 552 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
On Air
August 14, 2013, 8:24pm Report to Moderator
“Trust … But Verify”

August 14, 2013

Those words, spoken by then President Ronald Reagan regarding an arms control treaty with the Soviet Union, might also well apply to putting someone who calls in to your show and claims to be a famous individual on the air.

We’re betting that ESPN Radio 104.5 (The Team)/Albany, NY host Mike Lindsley (pictured) has clearly learned that lesson, after a guy claiming to be former New York Yankees outfielder Shane Spencer told the Sports/Talker that he had taken steroids while playing for the Yankees and had encouraged other players to do so, too.

The story blew up big before the real Shane Spencer — now the hitting coach of the Somerset Patriots — heard about the story and called ESPN to vehemently deny the report.

“I am outraged that someone would do this and at the same time disappointed that the station believed it to be me, despite not coming from the contact information they had for me.”

A podcast of the interview with the faux Spencer remained on the station’s website until late yesterday, but was quickly deleted after the hoax was discovered.

Spencer later spoke with Lindsley to set the record straight.

You can hear that interview HERE.

And the moral of the story? Trust … but verify before you air it!

http://www.ntsmediaonline.com/

Logged Offline
Private Message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    General Radio News  ›  “Trust … But Verify”

Sparky Taft