Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    GENERAL CHAT    The Political Front  ›  Rex Murphy's take on Duffy & the $90.000.00

Rex Murphy's take on Duffy & the $90.000.00  This thread currently has 2,139 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
SkyLine
May 16, 2013, 11:23am Report to Moderator
Mike Duffy Claimed Expenses While Campaigning In 2011 Election

Conservative Sen. Mike Duffy submitted expense claims while Parliament was dissolved during the last federal election, reporting he was on Senate business on days he appeared to be campaigning for the party. (CP File Photos)

Huffington Post Canada

OTTAWA - Conservative Sen. Mike Duffy submitted expense claims while Parliament was dissolved during the last federal election, reporting he was on Senate business on days he appeared to be campaigning for the party.

The full extent of Duffy's Senate expenses during the writ period remains a mystery — the Conservative government is refusing to reveal the full breakdown of the senator's claims and his repayment of $90,172.24.

But independent auditors at the firm Deloitte listed Duffy as being in Ottawa on Senate business and claiming a daily expense for seven days in April 2011, a month that was dominated by campaigning for the May 2 vote.

He was also listed as being on Senate business at an "other location" on another six days. Using cellphone records, Deloitte managed to catch one inappropriate "other location" claim from 2012 while Duffy was in Florida.

But the auditors said they remained in the dark about whether taxpayers paid his expenses on many other days, since Duffy failed to fully disclose his activities and records.

Social media and newspaper reports offer a glimpse of how Duffy's busy campaign schedule overlapped with the Senate business he reported to auditors:

— On April 5, Duffy spoke to the Kootenay-Columbia Conservative association in British Columbia. His travel claims indicated he was on Senate business.

— On April 8, candidate Sandy Lee tweeted that she was meeting Duffy in Norman Wells, N.W.T. Lee's campaign paid Duffy $209.01 in expenses. His travel claims indicated he was on Senate business.

— On April 21, Duffy was reportedly campaigning with candidate Scott Armstrong in Nova Scotia. Armstrong's campaign paid Duffy $409.91 in expenses.

— On April 28, Duffy appeared to have a busy day in the Toronto area, campaigning with candidates Maureen Harquail, Wladyslaw Lizon and Gin Siow. Lizon's campaign paid Duffy $169.45, as did Siow. His travel claims indicated he was on Senate business.

— On April 29, former cabinet minister Lawrence Cannon tweeted a picture of Duffy at an event outside of Ottawa that same day. The Deloitte audit listed Duffy as being in Ottawa on Senate business and claiming a per diem.

If Duffy collected daily Senate expenses while on the Conservative campaign trail, taxpayer may have paid twice: Conservative candidates who paid for Duffy's hotel stays would have received federal rebate money for those expenses.

Duffy's campaign events did not end there. On at least five other occasions documented in media reports, Duffy campaigned with Conservative candidates. He did not tell Deloitte about his campaign calendar, forcing Deloitte to list his activities as "undocumented."

Meanwhile, the public Senate attendance register does not cover April or May 2011, the period that Parliament was dissolved.

"We are not on a leave of absence — Parliament was dissolved — we are still senators. However, all party work we are doing is paid for by the party," Duffy told Postmedia News during the campaign.

"MPs continue to be paid. So do we."

Duffy did not respond to a phone call or an email message requesting comment.

On Wednesday, the prime minister's office revealed that Stephen Harper's chief of staff Nigel Wright had given Duffy the $90,000 he needed for housing expense repayment as a gift.

But Duffy appeared to contradict that, according to a CTV News report Wednesday night. The network said it received an email from Duffy in which he claimed he repaid his expense claims with a loan from the Royal Bank and that "Nigel played no role.”

Once the repayment was made, Deloitte said Duffy ended his participation in the audit, stopping short of providing financial records, credit card statements and information about his calendar. He also did not meet with the auditors.

"Based on the information provided in the travel claims, it is not clear from the claims where Sen. Duffy was located on days he claimed per diem amounts," Deloitte wrote.

Sen. Mac Harb, formerly a Liberal who is now independent and contesting a Senate demand he repay $51,482 in housing-related expenses, is also listed as having been in Ottawa on Senate business on four days during the federal election period, but reported no Senate business outside of Ottawa.

Sen. Patrick Brazeau, also now independent after being kicked out of the Conservative caucus, only listed one day of Senate business in Ottawa during the writ period. He is also fighting a demand for repayment of $48,744 in housing expenses.

Deloitte also highlighted six expense claims when Harb said he was in Ottawa on "Senate business" without being able to prove what he was doing, and two for Brazeau. In both cases, Harb and Brazeau provided Deloitte with more documents than Duffy, and met with the auditors in person

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/16/mike-duffy-expenses_n_3284457.html

Logged Offline
Private Message
Voice Over
May 17, 2013, 4:24am Report to Moderator
Administrator
Sen. Mike Duffy leaves Conservative caucus amid expense scandal

CTVNews.ca Staff
Friday, May 17, 2013 12:11AM EDT

Embattled Sen. Mike Duffy has left the Conservative caucus amid a growing scandal over his expense claims.

“It is clear the public controversy surrounding me and the repayment of my Senate expenses has become a significant distraction to my caucus colleagues, and to the government,” Duffy said in a statement Thursday evening.

“Given that my presence within the Conservative caucus only contributes to that distraction, I have decided to step outside of the caucus and sit as an independent Senator pending resolution of these questions.”

But a senior official told CTV’s Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife that Duffy was pushed out of the caucus because of the growing questions surrounding his conduct.

Mike Duffy tried to influence CRTC decision on Sun Media: source

Fife revealed this week that Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s chief of staff, Nigel Wright, helped Duffy pay back a $90,172 debt to the Senate for improperly claimed living expenses.

The PMO then confirmed that Wright, a former Bay Street executive, wrote a personal cheque to Duffy. Still, Duffy claimed in an email to CTV News Tuesday night that Wright played no role and that he’d taken out a loan to repay the money.

A review of documents revealed Thursday that Duffy billed taxpayers for being on official Senate business while he was actually campaigning for the Conservatives ahead of the last federal election.

If it’s determined that Duffy attended eight campaign events and submitted Senate expenses, he could be in further trouble for double-billing.

The Conservative Party told CTV News that it paid for all of Duffy’s campaign event expenses.

But a check of social media and newspaper reports shows that Duffy’s reported Senate business overlapped with campaign events he attended in 2012. Among them:

April 5: Duffy spoke to the Kootenay-Columbia Conservative association in British Columbia, but his travel claims suggested he was on Senate business.
    April 8: Candidate Sandy Lee tweeted that she was meeting Duffy in Norman Wells, N.W.T. Lee's campaign paid Duffy $209.01 in expenses. His travel claims indicated he was on Senate business.
    April 21: Duffy was reportedly campaigning with candidate Scott Armstrong in Nova Scotia. Armstrong's campaign paid Duffy $409.91 in expenses.
    April 27 and 28: Duffy appeared to have been campaigning in the Toronto area, although his travel claims said he was on Senate business.
    April 29: Former cabinet minister Lawrence Cannon tweeted a picture of Duffy at an event outside of Ottawa that same day. The Deloitte audit listed Duffy as being in Ottawa on Senate business and claiming a per diem.

Calls for independent probe

The revelation that Wright personally bailed out Duffy prompted outrage and calls for an independent investigation.

“This is a scandal that’s undermining the credibility of the government and the prime minister, along with Mike himself,” Gregory Thomas of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation told CTV’s Power Play Thursday.

“This is different. This is a big scandal,” author and historian Michael Bliss said. “The $90,000 payment from the prime minister’s chief of staff to Senator Duffy is a smoking gun. It’s serious. I think it’s going to be a moment of truth for this government and this prime minister, and there’s no way it’s going to go away.”

The New Democrats have asked Senate Ethics Officer Lyse Ricard to launch an investigation.

"Apart from the troubling fact that someone else is paying for Mr. Duffy's mistakes, it appears that in receiving this so called 'gift' the senator may have breached several ethical rules of the Senate," NDP MP and ethics critic Charlie Angus wrote in a letter to Ricard.

Angus added that Senators are prohibited from receiving gifts other than those given as normal courtesy. Under the Senate Conflict of Interest Code, all gifts over $500 must be reported within 30 days.

"It goes without saying that a cheque for such a large amount is far from a customary standard of hospitality, nor a normal expression of courtesy," he wrote.

Duffy is one of three senators whose living expenses have come under fire over allegations they were claiming tens of thousands of dollars for accommodations in the Ottawa area under the Senate’s housing allowance rule – intended to compensate those whose primary residences are more than 100 kilometres from the capital.

However, an independent audit released last week showed that Duffy, along with Sen. Patrick Brazeau and Sen. Mac Harb, spent more time in Ottawa than at the homes declared to be their primary residences, rendering their claims ineligible.

Duffy, who repaid the expenses in March, was praised by the Conservatives for showing "leadership" in his decision to pay back the ineligible claims before the audits were released.

However, there was no indication at the time that the money used had been given to Duffy by Wright.

Brazeau and Harb were asked to repay about $48,000 and $51,000 respectively. Both senators have said they will fight the orders.

In an email Wednesday, the prime minister's director of communications Andrew MacDougall wrote: "Mr. Duffy agreed to repay the expenses because it was the right thing to do. However, Mr. Duffy was unable to make a timely repayment.

"Mr. Wright therefore wrote a cheque from his personal account for the full amount owing so that Mr. Duffy could repay the outstanding amount."

That confirmation from the PMO contradicts Duffy's earlier explanation to CTV News.

"The Royal Bank helped me…I dealt with my bank personally. Nigel played no role," Duffy wrote in an email to CTV News Tuesday, claiming he got a loan to repay the expense claims.

Wright has been the Prime Minister's chief of staff since 2011. The $90,000 cheque is a personal gift from Wright to Duffy, but insiders say the two men are not close friends and hardly know each other.

Canada's ethics commissioner, Mary Dawson, said Wednesday that she will investigate Wright's cheque to Duffy.

With files from The Canadian Press

Here is Sen. Mike Duffy's full statement:

“It is clear the public controversy surrounding me and the repayment of my Senate expenses has become a significant distraction to my caucus colleagues, and to the government. Given that my presence within the Conservative caucus only contributes to that distraction, I have decided to step outside of the caucus and sit as an independent Senator pending resolution of these questions.

“Throughout this entire situation I have sought only to do the right thing. I look forward to all relevant facts being made clear in due course, at which point I am hopeful I will be able to rejoin the Conservative caucus.

“This has been a difficult time for me and my family, and we are going to take some time away from the public. I ask the media to respect our privacy while these questions are resolved through the appropriate processes

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/s.....283982#ixzz2TWKlBddl
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
Vanlen
May 17, 2013, 5:33am Report to Moderator
One down, now hopefully the rest will follow suit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
Voice Over
May 17, 2013, 6:41pm Report to Moderator
Administrator

Rex Murphy: Mike Duffy and that $90,000.00 cheque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlShwb7UT0&feature=share
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    GENERAL CHAT    The Political Front  ›  Rex Murphy's take on Duffy & the $90.000.00

Sparky Taft