Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    Alberta and Prairie Radio/TV News  ›  Sean Burke responds

Sean Burke responds  This thread currently has 28,189 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
SoundMan
November 16, 2012, 4:02pm Report to Moderator

Sean Burke was relieved of his duties as Morning Man of Edmonton's Country Radio Station CISN

Sean Burke

From Sean's Facebook Page....

Sean Burke

Hey gang! The outpouring of LOVE and SUPPORT has left Nicole and I speechless! It's at times like this, you truly find out who your friends are. And although I've never #twooped from many of your houses, hearing from my AUDIENCE, I mean MY FRIENDS...means the world to me! Sure it's a tough pill to swallow, but the sun's going to rise tomorrow and we'll all be thankful we're on the good side of the dirt! I'm going to be fine...and if I decide to stay in radio, you'll be the first to find out!

When times were good, not that long ago...
CISN's Sean Burke
goes the extra mile...

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1347048339/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Headphone Hair
November 16, 2012, 11:58pm Report to Moderator
Keep your stick on the ice, Sean
I have a sneaky feeling that you'll be snatched up somewhere in the market.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
edmontonian
November 17, 2012, 12:03am Report to Moderator
yea, not sure what kind of signal One FM will have as far as Metro Edmonton goes, but wouldn't this be a great battle with CISN. I love competition, especially when it involves an Indie, besides, these big boys tend to get too complacent. Time to show they really got what it takes when doing battle on a local level. Good Luck Mark!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
Headphone Hair
November 17, 2012, 12:17am Report to Moderator
Quoted from edmontonian
yea, not sure what kind of signal One FM will have as far as Metro Edmonton goes, but wouldn't this be a great battle with CISN. I love competition, especially when it involves an Indie, besides, these big boys tend to get too complacent. Time to show they really got what it takes when doing battle on a local level. Good Luck Mark!

I've heard One's signal will be pretty small. Only listenable in south Edm.
Not sure if Mark could afford a Sean Burke. Unless he made him part owner.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
oldbossjock
November 17, 2012, 1:13am Report to Moderator
Afford Sean?  lol......he's worth whatever someone's willing to pay/he's willing to work for.  The minute he became unemplyed, his value dropped significantly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
Firsttimecaller
November 17, 2012, 2:51am Report to Moderator
McGuire on air,maybe.  PD, seriously???  

Burke is bigger than Leduc.  

The One is good for Leduc but won't put a dent in CISN.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
oldbossjock
November 17, 2012, 3:20am Report to Moderator
Sorry to disagree.  Not bigger than Leduc.  Not bigger than anything.  How many jobs are there out there?  How many guys/gals like him with same talent or better are looking?  He'll be lucky to land anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I wish him all the best and hope he lands on his feet.  My advice, stay the hell out of the business and use some of the contacts you've developed/established and get a real job.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
Info Collector
November 17, 2012, 4:08pm Report to Moderator
Another issue: what the heck is going on with Corus in Edmonton?  All the issues with CHED and iNews, and now CISN.  If I were at Joe I'd be more than a little concerned.

All the best to Sean, Dave and anyone else who's had to go through the last week in radio.  Not one of the industry's finest weeks that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 12
Sean Burke
November 17, 2012, 7:40pm Report to Moderator
Wow!  Finally, a thread dedicated to yours truely!  Never wanted it to be under these circumstances, but it is what it is!

I've been doing the radio thing since 1992, never been fired!  It's an odd feeling for sure.  At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I definitely have more than enough time to think about it!  Will it be radio...who knows....I had a pretty good run!

My plan now is to stay in Edmonton.  My kids are here and family's always been first for me!  So, I'll enjoy some extra time with them and see what comes along!

If anyone wants to contact me, my email addy is burkee@shaw.ca

Thanks for the support gang, I appreciate it!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
oldbossjock
November 17, 2012, 8:30pm Report to Moderator
While on the subject of firings, does anyone know if Gary James has landed a gig yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
sleddog
November 18, 2012, 9:20pm Report to Moderator
Once again Sean, remember you weren't fired...your position (salary) was eliminated.  There's no way that Corus plans to bring somebody else in.  Chris and J.G.  are on their own.  Having gone through this not long ago I suspect you're going to really miss radio if you manage to stay out.  Good luck!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 12
KBecker
November 19, 2012, 3:19am Report to Moderator
Love you man! Whatever you do, you'll be great at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
Sean Burke
November 19, 2012, 9:46pm Report to Moderator
The support I've recieved over the past couple of days has been AMAZING!  

Please know that's it's appreciated!  

Doing this job, day in day out, you often wonder if what you're doing is making an impact!  Well, I've found out I was making an impact!  

Thanks again...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    Alberta and Prairie Radio/TV News  ›  Sean Burke responds

Sparky Taft