Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    RATINGS NEWS    PPM's 2011  ›  Edmonton Radio PPMs - Aug 29th - Nov 27th

Edmonton Radio PPMs - Aug 29th - Nov 27th  This thread currently has 5,633 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Sam
December 8, 2011, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
Administrator
Survey period: August 29th, 2011 - November 27th, 2011
Demographic: A2+
Daypart: Monday to Sunday 2am-2am

Station        Format       Share       Cume     Daily Cume     Trend

CHED (NewsTalk)              10.5            584.6      132.2           n/c
CKNO (NOW)                     9.9            976.6      177.3         +0.2      
CKRA (CAPITAL)                 8.1           894.9       135.6         +0.6
CISN (Country)                   7.8            802.5      118.8         -1.0
CBX+ (RADIO ONE)            6.7            360.0        85.5         +0.4
CFBR (BEAR)                      6.4            684.7        99.7         -0.3
CHDI (SONIC)                     6.3            671.4       121.9        -1.0
CIUP  (UP!)                         6.2            913.8       119.9        -1.1
CKNG (JOE)                        5.4            794.1       112.3        +1.2
CIRK  (K-97)                       5.4            689.9       100.6        -0.3
CFMG (VIRGIN)                    4.9            868.7       122.1       +1.5
CFCW  (Country)                 4.8            248.5         47.2       +0.2
CHBN  (BOUNCE)                 3.4            819.5        110.0       -0.8
CKEA  (LITE 95.7)               2.0            747.2          56.9       +0.2
CHQT  (I-880)                     1.9            280.4          42.5       +0.2
CBX FM (RADIO TWO)          1.8            232.1         314.4       -0.2
CFRN  (TEAM)                      1.7           218.7           31.3         n/c

TERMS
Share - Within a central market area, the estimated total hours tuned to that station expressed
as a percentage of total hours tuned to Total Encoded Radio.
Cume (000) - Expressed in thousands, this is the total number of people who were exposed to
the stations for at least one minute during the analyzed period.

Private Message
Muzik
December 8, 2011, 8:41pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Congrats to the Rawlco Team ruling the roost AGAIN.NOW that is well deserved party on.
E-mail Reply: 1 - 8
Bonjour
December 8, 2011, 9:27pm Report to Moderator
Quoted from 1670
Congrats to the Rawlco Team ruling the roost AGAIN.NOW that is well deserved party on.

yea, but UP! is down considerably! No Christmas bonus here. Am wondering if Rawlco had a heads up about this, reason being the All Christmas format.

Capital's looking strong and solid. Good on them!

a real switcheroo with Bounce and Virgin. looks like an all out battle ground here. I don't think ppms are too favourable to this demo. Example being when the change from bbm first came in, Bounce had good numbers, alot better than Sonic, then with ppms, it turned around. It also makes one wonder just how much HOT 107 would fit into the picture if they were playing the ppm game.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
clockwatcher
December 9, 2011, 8:41pm Report to Moderator
Admins
Courtesy BroadcasterMagazine.com, here is David Bray's analysis of the demographic groups in the Edmonton numbers.  He is president of Toronto's Bray &  Partners Communications.

Edmonton: 630 CHED rules the roost for A12+ posting a 10.1% share of hours tuned (down from 10.2% last time out).
102.3 NOW! Radio takes top spot for F25-54, delivering a 12.6% share (up from 11.7%).
NOW! also tops the list for M25-54 with a 12.9% share (up from 12.4%) followed by The Bear at 10.6% (up from 10.3%).
For M18-34, 102.3 NOW is out in front delivering a 15.3% (up from 13.6%) followed by Sonic 102.9 with a 15.3% (down from 16.9%) share.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
Wiggley
December 13, 2011, 3:36pm Report to Moderator
What is it that keeps CHED on top in this market?  It seems unshakeable.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
DirkSteele
December 13, 2011, 11:31pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Wiggley

Their audience tunes in daily while wearing their PPM, falls asleep in front of the radio, and wakes up 5 hours later.   :P
E-mail Reply: 5 - 8
sleddog
December 14, 2011, 9:31pm Report to Moderator
True...there demo's are getting much older but they still do well with the Oilers, decent news package and across the country am talk stations generally hit the top rank.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
bobinedmonton
December 14, 2011, 10:24pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from Wiggley

I find myself asking that question daily as I tune into their eight o-clock news, which starts at 8:03, thanks to a rambling sportscaster well past his prime that constantly goes overtime.

Once he's finished, they go to commercials.  TONS of commercials.

But what is the alternative?  

The CBC (which is what I really listen to) has NATIONAL news at the top of the hour!   I need local news and traffic while I am driving to work.  I don't care about what's happening in Pakistan.  Same at 5PM.

The kids at INEWS880 can't even read their own names without making mistakes and I don't want to listen to the fart jokes on the other stations.  

What does that leave us?   CHED.  And, by default, that's how they have listeners.    :'(

Those who are unaware are unaware that they are unaware.   :'(
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
radio30
December 15, 2011, 2:14pm Report to Moderator
Quoted from 38

Their audience tunes in daily while wearing their PPM, falls asleep in front of the radio, and wakes up 5 hours later.   :P

Too funny...and probably more than a little truth to that statement.  Unfortunately their audience keeps getting older and older.  Doug Rutherford seems reluctant to make some changes that are needed.  First and formost is Brian Hall.  Brian unfortunatley is long past his due date.  Rambles on about crap that has little to do with sports and in general is trying too hard to impress the guy running the board in front of him and could care less about his audience.  In an era where content is king, Brian falls short all to often.   Brian has had an incredible run in the business and should realize it is time to bow out.  Dan Tenser is the obvious successor and for his short time in the business is just fantastic. It's too bad that TEAM 1260's numbers weren't a little better.  They have some excellent shows.  Their morning show is highly entertaining.  Jason Gregor is fun to listen too.  And I might add that I think Bob Stauffer sounded better on the TEAM than he does on CHED.  CHED aside, congrats to Chad Martin, the former POWER 92 jock in the 90's for pulling Astrals VIRGIN out of the basement.  They still have a long way to go in the ratings, but at least they now have a heartbeat.  It's too bad that Lite FM is still wallowing in substandard numbers near the bottom.  Thats what happens when you have a management team that does not believe in their product.  Forgive me for sounding old, but the staff they have assembled is too young for this format.  The GM liked the old format and the PD is a fish out of water.  Throw in the fact they launched late and with DJ's that were not well known in this market and you had a recipe for for disaster.  Not even all Christmas music can save their bacon because we now have 3 stations in Edmonton playing all holiday favourites.  At one time EZ Rock ruled the Christmas airwaves in Edmonton.  Now almost everyone is on the band wagon and all 3 stations will lose.  Note to LITE FM.  Pull out your wallet, hire some better known DJ's that are active in the community and promote the hell out of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    RATINGS NEWS    PPM's 2011  ›  Edmonton Radio PPMs - Aug 29th - Nov 27th

Sparky Taft