Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    GENERAL CHAT    General Chat  ›  Telus TV vs. Shaw

Telus TV vs. Shaw  This thread currently has 2,392 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bobinedmonton
September 25, 2011, 2:11pm Report to Moderator

I finally gave up and switched to Telus.   Telus was offering a free PVR, a free COMPUTER, high speed Internet and basic TV for less than HALF of what I was paying SHAW for just basic digital cable and high speed Internet.   And Shaw actually wanted to INCREASE my rate in November.   I wrote to Shaw to give them a chance to see if they would match Telus's offer, only to get a non-reply about improving infrastructure so that I can order more pay-per-view-movies.  But I don't care about that!   I just want basic cable and Internet.   So I switched.  So far I am very happy.  It seems too good to be true, so I'm just waiting for the "catch".  Is there one?  So far the only "catch" is that I am locked into a three year contract, but that is not a concern to me if the service continues to be as excellent as it has been so far.   What's going on at SHAW?   It sounds like somebody is going to lose market share very quickly if they don't improve their packages!  :)

Those who are unaware are unaware that they are unaware.   :'(
Logged Offline
Private Message
basementfm
September 25, 2011, 5:41pm Report to Moderator
just last month a friend of mine was enticed by the offer of the free PVR and Laptop.  she switched from Shaw to Telus, and everything seemed fine when the Telus tech left her home.  later that evening, while watching TV, the phone rang.  when she answered it, the TV picture disappeared.  turns out the tech set her up so she could either watch tv or talk on the phone....i'm sticking with Shaw.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Camera1
September 25, 2011, 7:52pm Report to Moderator
Telus throttles bandwidth like Bell, you have to sign a contract and it's expensive to get out of - they're core is "phone" (POTS, telco) Not TV, their wireless setup is not that dynamic, you need filters to use your phone. Shaw is the opposite, although arrogant in their own way, but their core is ISP - TV carrier with no contracts. I buy electronics from an electronics store for a reason and not a drug store for the same reason I would not buy drugs from an electronics store.  The same principle in my choice of carriers. Telus gets my phone (cell) contract not Shaw, but I bundled my VOIP landline with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
BJ
September 25, 2011, 9:25pm Report to Moderator
It wouldn't surprise me when the time comes to return your equipment to Shaw,they don't even ask for the reason that you are switching. They have lost so many subcribers to Optik,the front line people  are probably tired of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Camera1
September 25, 2011, 10:59pm Report to Moderator
I would suspect that within a couple of years, Bell will absorb Telus to incorporate the satellite network, and leave the Telus half of "Belltel" to handle the cellular business. IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Moose
September 26, 2011, 4:30am Report to Moderator
Do not, yes do not, let ONE COMPANY to provide all of the service. Simple as that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
bobinedmonton
September 26, 2011, 5:11pm Report to Moderator

Quoted from BJ
It wouldn't surprise me when the time comes to return your equipment to Shaw,they don't even ask for the reason that you are switching. They have lost so many subcribers to Optik,the front line people  are probably tired of it.

No, they didn't ask.   They don't seem to care.  And so far, it seems that I made the right move! :K)

Those who are unaware are unaware that they are unaware.   :'(
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Wiggley
September 26, 2011, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
And I just switched to Shaw Phone - because they offered me full service for 1.95 a month for six months.  That trumped Telus.  And the service is great.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
Justin Cider
September 27, 2011, 2:43am Report to Moderator

Quoted from bobinedmonton

No, they didn't ask.   They don't seem to care.  And so far, it seems that I made the right move! :K)

Maybe they know something you don't know...yet.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Poppa
September 27, 2011, 3:36am Report to Moderator
I think every company has their good and bad, and no one company is really any better than the other. You just gotta find the one that suits your needs. For me, personally, I refuse to tie into any length of contract (...the idea is patently absurd...) so I'm with Shaw Direct for my dish, and Shaw has my internet. I have never had any kind of problem whatsoever in my time with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
DirkSteele
September 27, 2011, 2:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
All companies have their introductory or "switch" offers.

My advice is look at what you'll be paying when the bonus runs out and make sure you are happy with that.  My experience is that they don't negotiate if you threaten to leave.  They run the bluff that you won't do the inconvenience of a new hardware installation for the "switch" price of a competitor.

Be careful of the deals.  Great example in my case is how I wanted to buy my Sat receiver outright for $200 instead of paying the "rental" and getting the first 6 months rental free.  Do the math and at the end of my 3 year contract, I'd still be paying an extra $150 than I would laying down the $200 in advance...that 6 month bonus included.  They really tried to talk me out of the receiver purchase, with good reason.

You are usually paying full pop 2 out of those 3 years of your contract.  I'm in that spot now and my options are to continue, try and threaten a move, or go to Rogers and have them drill holes in my house for coaxial.

Makes decisions in the radio business seem easy.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 11
KD
September 30, 2011, 2:44pm Report to Moderator
I bundled with Telus last October when I made the move over to HD tv. I got hi-speed internet, the optik TV and have POTS still. Its about $140 per month but I love the service. I have had no problems since making this switch and have talked to Telus a few times about various things which they have been very helpful with.

I am enjoying my service and love watching the football in HD!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    GENERAL CHAT    General Chat  ›  Telus TV vs. Shaw

Sparky Taft