Connecting the Radio & Television Industries
Click here for the last 100 entries in PSR's Portal Today in
Broadcast History

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    Alberta and Prairie Radio/TV News  ›  Winnipeg's DOC STEEN passes away

Winnipeg's DOC STEEN passes away  This thread currently has 4,800 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
admin
October 12, 2004, 1:35am Report to Moderator
Guest User
According to a post on the Ontario radio board, longtime CKRC Winnipeg jock DOC STEEN has passed away in Victoria.

No further details available.
johnsykes
October 12, 2004, 4:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Always was impressed with the Doc's style...listened to him 1958-59 in Winnipeg
and then had the pleasure of him being at CKGM in Montreal.  I recall he used the name Doc Stone while in Montreal.
A fan of the Doc offers humble condolences to his family.
E-mail Reply: 1 - 25
kootrad
October 15, 2004, 7:04pm Report to Moderator
I had the honor of working with Doc when we converted CKY FM to 92 CITI FM back in 1977.  Here was a radio veteran who was suddenly surrounded by all these young rock guys facing as extreme a format change as anyone could handle.  Did this deter Doc?  No way.  Doc successfully hosted CITI FM Musicology which was then our flagship foreground program.  He even participated in our occasional water pistol fights!!

Doc, you were a gentleman and a true talent.  We will all miss you greatly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 3, 2005, 6:33am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Does anyone have anymore info on the passing of Doc Steen? What happened to him? I do know that he passed away in Vancouver, on Sept.8th, not in Victoria, as reported. We've known the Doc for more than 30 years, and he was a good friend of ours. He will be missed greatly by all who knew him. Thank you.    Bob
E-mail Reply: 3 - 25
NewsWatcher
May 4, 2005, 1:02am Report to Moderator
I apologize for being naive about Doc and his background -- but am wondering....  There was someone, I thought from CKY, who was a "legacy" talent who used to voice all the K-Tel spots (rapid chatter over clips of songs, which on the K-Tel releases were edited to DEATH...).  Would that have been Doc Steen or am I confusing him with a different person?

In any case...my condolences to his friends, co-workers, and family.  We're losing TOO many talented people who probably ALL have still a great deal to teach us....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 4, 2005, 3:22am Report to Moderator
Guest User
LittleEric, the voice you are thinking of on the K-Tel commercials was not Doc. It was Bob Washington, formerly of CJOB then later on, CKY. Hope this is helpful to you.                                                                              Bob.
E-mail Reply: 5 - 25
Dave Michaels
May 4, 2005, 9:59pm Report to Moderator
Bob Washington also worked at the now defunct  CKRC in Winnipeg,along with Doc Steen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 25
allycat
May 4, 2005, 11:10pm Report to Moderator
Bob Washington still alive?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 25
raydeo
May 5, 2005, 2:00am Report to Moderator
Quoted Text
Bob Washington also worked at the now defunct  CKRC in Winnipeg,along with Doc Steen

also Boyd Kozak and Ron Legge.  CKRC was the big rocker back in the 60's.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 5, 2005, 9:56am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Bob Washington is still alive as far as I know, Neumann. At least he was as of a few months ago.          Bob
E-mail Reply: 9 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 5, 2005, 10:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User
You are right, raydeo, "Wash" did work at CKRC along with Doc, till Doc moved over to the FM side when CKWG , 103.1 came into effect around the late 70's or early 80's. I sure do remember those "rocker" days at RC. Thanks,      Bob
E-mail Reply: 10 - 25
bobbby
May 6, 2005, 7:33am Report to Moderator
Outside of Toronto, Winnipeg was the top market for Top 40 music in the early sixties.  Just look at the stations - CKY, CKRC  The management saw the signs, and let it roll.  Moffat brought in a gentleman by the name of Jim Hilliard, calling himself Jimmy Darren, who surrounded himself with great US jocks like Chuck Dann{Riley}, and Canucks like Daryl B, J Robert Wood, Dennis Corrie. Darren himself was a great personaltiy from the the airchecks I heard of him.

On the other side it was CKRC, with such luminaries as Bob Washington, Don Slade, Boyd Kozak, Doc Steen, Jim Christiie, Gary Hart, Ron Legge, and many other great jocks.  And this is all during the height of the budding Rock and Roll era.

No wonder Winnipeg produced so many great bands.  Must've been great radio to hear.  Glad I got to work with some of the guys........Here's the kicker....Jimmy Darren, formerly of CKY, is now head of "Fairwest Broadcasting" out of Indianapolis, and is one of the most successful chains in the US!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 13, 2005, 2:30pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Gord, you mentioned Dennis Corrie in your post. I was only about 13 at the time of the teen dances, but I have in my memory a Dennis Corrie playing all the music. He was a British guy as I remember? I may be confusing him with someone else. This was when they started having the dances at The Normandy, on Sherbrook Street. Also, Gordon Ross was the MC for a year or two at the dances. Nobody seems to remember him at all. Do you?                  Thanks,    Bob
E-mail Reply: 12 - 25
Mike Cleaver
May 13, 2005, 6:16pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Gord, I have in mind someone whom I think is Dennis Corrie, but am not sure. I may have him confused with someone else. He used to play the music back when the teen dances were held at the Normandy, on Sherbrook St.I was only 13 then, so it's not quite clear. I do remember that Gordon Ross was the mc back then, but no one seems to remember him. He did it for about two years or so, then Doc took over.Was that Dennis CorrieI? I remember he was British. Also, does anyone remember Gordon Ross or know where he is now?    Thanks,  Bob
E-mail Reply: 13 - 25
bobbby
May 13, 2005, 10:17pm Report to Moderator
Hi
I'm not sure of Dennis Corrie's time in Winnipeg, I knew him in Calgary when he worked at CFAC, but I did know he had been the youngest music director in Canada at the time at CKY.  This was the time of the British Ivasion, so maybe he got caught up in that.  He's a great guy, and I still keep in touch with him.  He MC'd the Dave Clark Five in Calgary when they came there.

Gordon Ross had a great voice, and became a newsman, and I believe worked in Calgary as well and maybe Vancouver.  Very good newsman.

Hope this helps.

Gord Robson
Toronto
416-451-7717 
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 25
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Puget Sound Radio    ON THE AIR    Alberta and Prairie Radio/TV News  ›  Winnipeg's DOC STEEN passes away

Sparky Taft